Wheel Advice

BigDinSG
BigDinSG Posts: 2
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I just ordered a new Canyon bike online and it comes with a pretty serious wheelset (Mavic Cosmic CXR 60 WTS Clinchers). I'm now mulling over whether or not I should keep the wheelset or sell it and change to either Zipp 303 FC or Mavic R-Sys SLR. My initial intention when buying the bike was to sell off the wheelset as they seemed more geared towards TT/Triathalon riding. I'm more of an endurance/climbing rider. The 303's seemed a good choice as an all-around wheelset whereas the SLR's would play more towards my strength in climbing. However, after reading up on the CXR 60's, it sounds like they stand up very well against the 303's as an all around wheel due to the aero advantage of the blades. FYI, I do not cycle competitively, so the UCI ban on the blades is not an issue for me. So now I'm left with the question of to sell or not to sell. What would you do in my situation?

Canyon-Ultimate-CF-SLX-Alexander-Kristoff.jpg

Thanks,
Big D

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    FYI, I do not cycle competitively, so the UCI ban on the blades is not an issue for me. So now I'm left with the question of to sell or not to sell. What would you do in my situation?

I wouldn't bother at all about wheels.
    Buy or keep what you like if performance is no issue.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Changing wheel set won't make you climb any quicker though. Do you not think that aero wheels would not help on long endurance rides. I'll tell you for free what make a performance wheel it a round one. I am not being funny either everything else is playing at the margins. Changing from what you is playing at the far margins. The only reason to change I can think of is if those mavics get blown about in winds.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I think you should change them because they look meh. Hope that helps...