giant talon

foy
foy Posts: 296
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
I was thinking of buying a giant talon RRP £1000 but the wheelset does not have eyelets on the rims which seems a bit cheapskate to be honest. How important is it to have eyelets on the rims. I will be cycling on canal tow paths and disused railways all the time.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's not.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Stans rims don't have eyelets - it depends if the area has been treated.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    That's a lot of money to spend on a bike for towpath use!

As above, eyelets aren't necessary if the rims are properly designed and manufactured. Your proposed use will put hardly any stress on the wheels so I wouldn't worry about it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • foy
    Well some folk will spend that on booze and fags in a few weeks, £1000 is not a lot of money these days for a quality bike that should last me a few years and give me great pleasure along the way. Thank you for your kind replies.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    These days there are plenty of bikes at sub £500 that will give perfectly good service.

The talon 0 (the one at £999 RRP) is reasonably well specced for the money but is somewaht compromised with having the Fox Evo fork.

Eyelets are either designed in or designed out, the rim is designed based on that, many quality rims have no eyelets (Stans and Shimano for example). The main advantage of eyelets is reduced friction under the nipple when adjusting spoke tension, but generally they add weight and also need a larger hole in the rim for the spoke nipple.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • foy
    I always thought that the fox forks were top dollar.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Fox Evois pretty basic and is a name choice.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    £1000 buys you a hell of a lot of bike. Check out rose, canyon & radon
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500