Squeaking when turn the handlebars

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a carbon HT and SID forks. My bike (4 months old) was fine until yesterday when I was approx 30 miles into a 75k race when I noticed there was squeaking when I turned the bars.
The ground was very dusty and maybe this has worked its way into the headset/fork steerer?
The bike works perfectly otherwise but this squeak is annoying and hasn't gone after washing my bike today.

What could be wrong as there is no obvious play in the handlebars etc and things seem tight? Could the headset bearings be knackered after such little time of riding (200 miles tops covered on the bike)?
Anyone experienced similar or with any suitable advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    With it being a 4 month old bike and with carbon components involved I'd say that it's definitely a warranty issue, sounds like something is not lubed /torqued /sealed correctly.
  • mikeyj28
    With it being a 4 month old bike and with carbon components involved I'd say that it's definitely a warranty issue, sounds like something is not lubed /torqued /sealed correctly.

Yes I was thinking it could possibly be that but if it is warranty for that then it is a pain to box the bike up and get it insured/courier etc for a £2000 bike.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • mattyfez
    If you purchased direct, they may have more local authorised dealers/authorised repair people, I'd certainly contact the company you purchased from in the first instance, and give them a chance to rectify the issue, free of charge obviously!
    It's not a cheap bike, so it needs to be right,.

That doesn't help you being bike less in the mean time, so I'd probably try and screw them for a discount on the purchase price whilst it's sorted out,or at least a voucher you can use to buy spare parts with.
  • mattyfez
    Just to qualify my previous statement, a two grand bike should be more than capable for 'dealing with a bit of dust'.
  • mikeyj28
    Just to qualify my previous statement, a two grand bike should be more than capable for 'dealing with a bit of dust'.

Yes exactly. I am a bit annoyed but I am thinking it may be something fairly simple - well hoping so anyway.
    Thinking the LBS would be a better option than sending the bike back due to the inconvenience and crazy expense it would cost.
  • mattyfez
    Depends how you trust your LBS, I don't trust mine further than I can spit! The danger is if a '3rd party' 'fucks with it' when it's under warranty, the retailer could wash thier hands of the issue, with it being such a new and expensive bike, I'd be tempted to go through the official route, or at least call them and see what they say.

If I was to entrust such an issue to an LBS, I'd want to be damn sure what the issue was before hand.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just have a look and lube. Dust isn't a warranty issue, just a bit of routine maintenance.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mikeyj28
    Just have a look and lube. Dust isn't a warranty issue, just a bit of routine maintenance.

Think I need to brush up on my headset maintenance. What grease is most suitable?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the headset and type of bearings, but often just cleaning stuff and getting rid of dust/dryness sorts things out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mikeyj28
    Depends on the headset and type of bearings, but often just cleaning stuff and getting rid of dust/dryness sorts things out.

it is an Acros integrated taper headset. Not sure of it really without taking it apart etc.
    Only used to the old style with the exposed bearings from the early 2000's and late 90's
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If they are sealed cartridge bearings then its probably just dust trapped in parts that are not actually the bearings, pop the stem off, spacers and top cover, drop the forks a bit, wipe it all clean (damp cloth) and refit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mikeyj28
    If they are sealed cartridge bearings then its probably just dust trapped in parts that are not actually the bearings, pop the stem off, spacers and top cover, drop the forks a bit, wipe it all clean (damp cloth) and refit.

Thank you for the advice. A bit late with the post I know but I have been off after surgery. Will sort this coming weekend.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Are you sure it isn't just cable rub?

This ^^^^^, or something similar

Squeaks, rattles and other irritants can come from surprising places and are are often benign.

Try to isolate the problem by removing potential causes one at a time. Does it happen every time you turn the bars? Is it just a left or right turn? Are you always seated, standing, pedaling, braking, etc when it happens.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    30 miles into a 75k race

The squeak was punishment for mixing metric and imperial units in one sentence.
  • mikeyj28

This did just the trick. Turns out there was some dust that had got trapped under and had accumulated a little. Only needed a wipe clean and it was sorted. Thanks for all your help guys.
  • mikeyj28
    30 miles into a 75k race

The squeak was punishment for mixing metric and imperial units in one sentence.

Haha - spot on there. Schoolboy error from me!!
  • I have the same problem. Squeeking when I turn the handlebars. I removed the top allen key screw and the two side ones and took the handlebars and spacers off, cleaned and greased it and put it back, but I still hear the squeek.

I've noticed some orange stuff (is it rust) coming from this hole:

I also put a bit of grease around the bit that turns:

Any idea what could be causing it or how to stop the noise?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Headset is probably knack*red.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    Water has got inside the bearings in your top tube and are probably past the point that a bit of grease will fix them, even though you haven't applied any grease to them yet.

It doesn't sound like you are used to DIY on a bike so I'd take it to a bike shop. The bearings should cost about £15 plus labour. I'd guess at £25 all in. Ask for an estimate if you are concerned.

They have to be the correct bearings and unless you already know, or someone can tell you because they already have that bike, then they will need to be removed and measured.

If you want to have a go, these people are very useful: Trail Vision
    https://trailvision.co.uk/collections/all-bike-bearings

Good bearings and not expensive.