Dura ace di2 10 to 11 speed

forestnot1
forestnot1 Posts: 244
edited August 2015 in Workshop
I currently run dura ace di2 10 speed, looking to go to 11 speed to line up with my 11sp mechanical ultegra winter/spring bike.

Would I need a whole new groupset or could I get away with just changing the mechs? Keeping all existing cabling etc as frame cannot run internal cables and they are currently very neatly routed.

Thanks

Comments

• schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I currently run dura ace di2 10 speed, looking to go to 11 speed to line up with my 11sp mechanical ultegra winter/spring bike.

Would I need a whole new groupset or could I get away with just changing the mechs? Keeping all existing cabling etc as frame cannot run internal cables and they are currently very neatly routed.

Thanks
    I think all the 10 speed versions use a thicker 4 core wire whereas the 11 speed versions use a thinner 2 core wire so 11 speed mechs won't be compatible with your existing levers.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    It wont work because Dura Ace 7970 uses a different system to e-tube on Ultegra 6870,DA9070.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652

Thanks
    I think all the 10 speed versions use a thicker 4 core wire whereas the 11 speed versions use a thinner 2 core wire so 11 speed mechs won't be compatible with your existing levers.

6770 uses the e-tube system, just like 6870 and 9070, whereas 7970 doesn't. So the OP will need to change everything to go 11 speed.