Ride London Litter

bikeav8or
bikeav8or Posts: 77
Just did a spin round Westcott, Leith hill and Box hill...... Discarded gel wrappers every where

Perhaps all those who could not take few seconds to put their gel wrappers back in their pockets could come back this weekend and pick them up !

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I litter because it makes me feel Pro.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Thats not on, if they're going to run a MASSHOOF event then they have to provide green zones and clean up teams afterwards, it makes me made when I see litter in my village I'd be furious if an event of any kind tried to just walk away from responsibility for ensuring they leave no trace.

All of the European events I've entered have marked areas for rubbish and in the UK wiggle offered one new gel for each empty wrapper, brilliant idea.

Anyway whatever happen to the UK don't litter campaign?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Fkwits. Big enough to ride 100 miles ? Big enough to carry their litter. I'd birch the litterers.
  • Littering is simply out of order.

Although I should point out that I generally thought there was not a lot of litter on this event (admittedly I finished at 11:15 so was one of the first through), but didn't see much aside from the occasional dropped bottle, inner tube (presumably accidental) or banana.

Compared to the 2013 event it was much better, particularly in Wimbledon where the discarded gel wrappers made a carpet in the first event.

Simple solution, which they do at IronMan in Exmoor, is to have a 100 yard section after each feed stop (with those big wheelie bins too) where riders can chuck/drop stuff (so it is fairly easy to pick up for the marshalls etc. Anyone caught dropping litter deliberately outside those area's is DQ.

The other school of thought is don't drop anything at all, just carry your stuff with you and don't expect marshalls to clear up because you can't be arsed to carry a gel wrapper or banana skin
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    not sure bins at the side of the road would work. It as cause too many people to swerve over to the side of the road and cause accidents.

Surely with a Pro race on afterwards there should have been a team going round to sweep up afterwards
  • Compared to the 2013 event it was much better, particularly in Wimbledon where the discarded gel wrappers made a carpet in the first event

Was that not because there were about a dozen people with boxes of High 5 gels handing them out to the riders? There was a pop-up feedzone doing this in the last 10 miles or so.

I’ve ridden a lot of sportives now and I’ve never once seen anyone deliberately drop litter. How many of you actually saw a rider check their empty on the ground last Sunday?

I have however seen riders miss their back pocket when trying to put their empties away or drop their food when trying to take it out. I’ve done it one or two times while I’m in a pack going full gas. What do you expect me/them to do when this happens? Slam on the anchors? Go back and pick it up? If you’ve got 25,000 riders there’s always going to be dropped packaging.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    Let's face it, it's a non issue. If it is an issue, then the organisers have to pay for a clean-up, which seems the obvious thing to do.

Have you ever seen any event with 25 K people and no litter? I suggest you volunteer to clean a train when it gets to the final destination... and that's only a couple of hundred people
    left the forum March 2023
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,024
    It does make you wonder how many people can "accidentaly" drop a wrapper.

Put it in your pocket FFS.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268

If one in 10 drops something, that's 2.5 K wrappers...
    left the forum March 2023
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392

As I commented on the main RideLondon thread, I think a lot of people did put the wrappers back in the pocket - but then pulled them out again accidentally when they reached for the next food item.

It probably isn't wise of the organisers to give out gels at the roadside. If you're that desperate for one, stop at a feed station, where bins are provided.
  • ajh18
    ajh18 Posts: 41
    I saw one guy lob an empty bottle into a hedge around Westcott, which wasn't particularly impressive. If he'd only waited to Dorking he could have emulated the Pros even further and lobbed it to a waiting "fan"....

Overall though, considering the number of people, the litter situation didn't seem as bad as it might have. Seen worse.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Why don't they make gels with biodegradale wrappers?

Seem some people on the sunday club ride chuck them :evil:
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Why don't they make gels with biodegradale wrappers?

Seem some people on the sunday club ride chuck them :evil:

Banning the use of gels in wrappers, in sportives is now feasible as you can now get gel bottles.

Personally I find gel bottles much easier to use and anyway I now make my own home-made gels!
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    What annoyed me was the mountain of gel wrappers left on the sinks in the Box Hill Cafe toilets. You have to walk past clearly labelled litter bins on the way in!

I didn't notice much litter on the course, and I went around quite late (finished at 3.30). Might I suggest that most of the litter was dropped during the pro event.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    What annoyed me was the mountain of gel wrappers left on the sinks in the Box Hill Cafe toilets. You have to walk past clearly labelled litter bins on the way in!

I didn't notice much litter on the course, and I went around quite late (finished at 3.30). Might I suggest that most of the litter was dropped during the pro event.
    Can we possibly now have a major sportive event where gels in wrappers are now banned?
  • in the UK wiggle offered one new gel for each empty wrapper, brilliant idea.

Except when tidy chaps like me turn up with 10 empty wrappers and expect 10 back ;-)