Buying a steel frame.

brianonyx
brianonyx Posts: 170
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
I am thinking of getting a steel frame bike, the Ribble one looks very nice, for the coming autumn and winter. I've heard good things about the frame, and whilst it would be nicer to go to one of the hand builders you get a lot for your money with Ribble.

I will be able to finish it with decent kit, thinking of SRAM Force and reasonably light wheels, Fulcrum 5s, and according to Ribble that would see a bike of about 11 - 12 kg, which is maybe 3kg heavier than my current Carbon bike.

I don't like the harsh ride of Aluminium frames but am worried about how much difference 3 extra kg would make in the real world for Sunday training rides and the odd autumn/spring sportive on it.

Is the reality that the difference wouldn't really be that noticeable??

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I am thinking of getting a steel frame bike, the Ribble one looks very nice, for the coming autumn and winter. I've heard good things about the frame, and whilst it would be nicer to go to one of the hand builders you get a lot for your money with Ribble.

I will be able to finish it with decent kit, thinking of SRAM Force and reasonably light wheels, Fulcrum 5s, and according to Ribble that would see a bike of about 11 - 12 kg, which is maybe 3kg heavier than my current Carbon bike.

I don't like the harsh ride of Aluminium frames but am worried about how much difference 3 extra kg would make in the real world for Sunday training rides and the odd autumn/spring sportive on it.

Is the reality that the difference wouldn't really be that noticeable??

You should be able to build any rim caliper steel bike at under 10 Kg with low to mid end components and under 9 Kg with mid to high end components. Some light steel frames can be built under 8 Kg with top end components
    left the forum March 2023
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Another option to consider is the Genesis Equilibrium frameset.

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/genesis-equilibrium-frameset-2014?gclid=CN_f5tTvjMcCFSfHtAod79EI5g

You will pay a bit more for it (£400 for the 2014 F+F or around £450 for the 2015 version) but it is 725 rather than 525 steel. I have built up and ridden the 2012 Genesis frame which was 625 steel with a steel fork and the ride quality was excellent. I'm currently riding a 2014 Genesis Disc frameset (again that had the steel rather than the carbon fork on the 2015 version) and can't fault it despite it being a bit on the heavy side compared to an Alu or carbon frame.

The Ribble frame is £175 but you will have to spend another £90 or so for a set of forks and maybe £40 for the headset. So in the end it won't be that much cheaper than the Genesis and I believe the Genesis will be the better buy.
  • brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    Thanks for the Genesis suggestion.

Do you find the weight makes any real difference, or does the extra comfort compensate?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561

Do you find the weight makes any real difference, or does the extra comfort compensate?

If you were to ride a bike over a regular route with a GPS logging your data then strap a 2kg weight to the top tube and repeat the ride under the same weather conditions then for us mere mortals, I doubt you would see much difference in the times. A pro cyclist on a hilly route would probably be able to detect the weight penalty but if your bike is well set up and comfortable to ride then I don't think you will notice it.

As Ugo states above - if you choose your build components carefully then the weight penalty can be significantly reduced.

Just remember that some of the biggest factors affecting performance are the rider's weight and fitness. Concentrate on these two and the frame weight is almost irrelevant for the normal recreational cyclist
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222

Read topdude's comments in this thread.viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13033791
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235

There is a different "feel" between carbon and steel. I have a 2015 725 Genesis Equilibrium disc, and an Argon 18 Gallium Pro carbon. The Genesis has more "momentum" - if stop pedalling on the flat it carries on - whereas the Argon slows relatively quickly. But the Argon is quicker to accelerate, and easier to climb with. Both are comfortable IMO. The Genesis runs on 28mm Schwalbe one tubeless (they JUST fit under the guards), the Argon on 25mm versions of the same, or sometimes some lightweight DT Swiss wheels and Veloflex or Vittoria clinchers if I feel like pretending to race :) .

The Genesis Equilibrium frame is a very good one IMO.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I took my Ritchey Road Logic to the Alps despite my Storck weighing several kilos less and being much stiffer. At no point after the 5 days and 50,000+ feet of climbing did I ever feel that I was held back by the frame or did I wish for a lighter bike.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    What Grill said. Indeed, since changing to the even heavier Swiss Cross Disc I still don't perceive that I am being held back by it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Make sure to check the tyre clearances on the frame with Ribble when you're running mudguards. I think their aluminium frame only has clearance for 23mm, which is a bit backward. Hopefully the steel one is better.

As an alternative the Surly Pacer builds up into a nice bike, although the steel fork is an additional weight penalty.
  • Nothing wrong with a a Ribble - steel or alu, good value for money and always have been.