26er Hardtail frame?

timbooth
timbooth Posts: 160
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone still make/sell frames for 26" wheels? I am looking at getting a new frame set and can't seem to find anything - all of the 26" wheeled bikes now seem to be really cheap or DH rigs.

I just need something utilitarian, in aluminium, disc mounts and a lively ride. A few years ago, I'd have been looking at anything from GT, Marin, Trek, Specialized, etc. but now there seems to be nothing.

Am I missing a source?

Thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or just use a 27.5 frame, very little difference and most 26" frames could be built up as 27.5 anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • timbooth
    Or just use a 27.5 frame, very little difference and most 26" frames could be built up as 27.5 anyway.

So, that is possible, without weird handling? A 27.5 frame with 26 wheels? If so, that opens up a lot of options.
  • The Rookie
    Yup, all the geometry (seat and head tube angles etc) stays the same as long as the fork A2C is 'right', you just lower the BB by a 'massive' 1/2", Lots of people have converted bikes the other way round and a regular ride mate has even converted an FS although tyre clearance on that is marginal (but then he's running 2.3" tyres as well!).

I've never checked the other way but I dare say a number of the '27.5' frames are the old 26" frames under a different colour scheme, the most common issue with putting 27.5 into a 26" is with the front mech (low mount in particular) reducing tyre clearance, as most modern bikes are 1x that becomes irrelevant to.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298

+1
    especially if using with wider tyres.
    Like Rookie says, you may notice the 1/2" or so bb drop but then again, some may consider this an advantage!
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578

Ineteresting. So I could take a 27.5 frame and put 26" wheels and a 26" fork in and it would work, apart from the BB height dropping?

I'm trying to find an XS (14") 26" wheel hardtail frame for my daughter and struggling. Her current 13" frame has an incredibly short top tube and she is really cramped, and I want to switch her frame. She is running a nice set of 26" wheels and 100mm Rockshox SID forks, which I want to keep. I've seen this Cube 27.5 frame http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-acid-27.5-frame-blue-n-flashred-456762/wg_id-8672 and wondered if putting her wheels and fork in would mess up the ride too much?
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • The Rookie
    You need to get the right(ish) A2C forks, but that is always the case anyway.

I'd be looking for a decent used frame anyway, she'll only outgrow it, plenty of smaller 26" frames come up on ebay, the mid 2000's Carrera frame is a decent lightish weight frame.

That Cube isn't bad, but not very light.
  • careca78
    careca78 Posts: 102
    You can still find several 26er model frames from On One bikes.
    If you don't mind riding a steel bike you can get a Inbred or 456Evo2 or if you insist in an aluminium frame you can get a Scandal.
  • The Rookie
    Given the size of his daughter, adding an extra 0.5+kg to the bike seems a bit unfair!
  • othello
    You can still find several 26er model frames from On One bikes.
    If you don't mind riding a steel bike you can get a Inbred or 456Evo2 or if you insist in an aluminium frame you can get a Scandal.

Unfortunately on-one don't have any 26 Scandals, and say they don't have access to any. My sons 14" Scandal is stupidly light and would be ideal if I could get another.

Inbred is a possibility, though a bit heavier. Again, no stock from on-one at the moment.

I'm keeping an eye on eBay!
  • m1tch666
    m1tch666 Posts: 148
    http://slam69.co.uk/dartmoor-hornet---26650b-frame-7424-p.asp

I'm riding the Primal in 26", great bike......
    2015-04-07%2018.56.50.jpg
    Dartmoor Primal 26" 1 x 10, 40 expander
    Banshee Spitfire 650b 1 x 10, 42 expander
  • The Rookie
    Rather a hefty frame for a smaller child and not really the usage intended for it! Rear axle standard also means he'll be buying a new rear wheel rather pointlessly.
    The primal would better suite his needs of the two http://slam69.co.uk/dartmoor-primal---26650b-frame-7439-p.asp but like the Hornet the smallest size is still too big (you read the 14" XS size bit?)
  • timbooth
    Rather a hefty frame for a smaller child and not really the usage intended for it! Rear axle standard also means he'll be buying a new rear wheel rather pointlessly.
    The primal would better suite his needs of the two http://slam69.co.uk/dartmoor-primal---26650b-frame-7439-p.asp but like the Hornet the smallest size is still too big (you read the 14" XS size bit?)

Actually, this was my thread - it got hijacked by someone else asking for their daughter! :?:

I am looking for a 17-18" frame, but you are right, it does need a standard rear hub fitting. I already looked at that frame you suggested - it is a bit porky at 2kg - I would like something lighter, as most of the trails round here are faster and smoother than average.
  • The Rookie
    Apologies, I missed it was a Hijack.

I'd stick with recommending a 2005-9 Carrera frame, about 1800g (same as a similar age Rockhopper) and an XC geometry
  • othello
    Actually, this was my thread - it got hijacked by someone else asking for their daughter! :?:

Sorry, that was my fault for hijacking. My bad.
  • timbooth

Sorry, that was my fault for hijacking. My bad.

No problem; the info so far has been useful to me as well as you - I just didn't want people not to post about deals they've seen, because they have only seen bigger frames.
  • m1tch666
    m1tch666 Posts: 148

I am looking for a 17-18" frame, but you are right, it does need a standard rear hub fitting. I already looked at that frame you suggested - it is a bit porky at 2kg - I would like something lighter, as most of the trails round here are faster and smoother than average.

Depends on what wheels you already have, I had the Superstar so it was easy to convert. Once built my 150mm hardtail weighs less than the xc orientated 100mm cube ltd pro it replaced with it's triple crank and front mech etc.....it's actually light if you look at the equivelant steel trail frames, plus an extra couple of grams in the frame weight has no impact upon its trail abilities imho :D
    Dartmoor Primal 26" 1 x 10, 40 expander
    Banshee Spitfire 650b 1 x 10, 42 expander