A question re my cassette.....

loukest
loukest Posts: 89
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Hello,

I've recently put my cassette back on my wheel after servicing the hub etc. When fully tightened, the cogs sort of wave as the wheel goes around, initially, I thought I had somehow bent the inside cog but I soon noticed that they all wave at the same time, this isn't the teeth, this is the entire ring. So much so that as the free hub runs, the inside cog just catches the spokes at the inner most bent bit if that makes any sense at all. The cassette or free hub body are definitely not loose, everything is tight, its as if something is bent.

This also coincides with me having to use an old chain whip to get the lock ring off, I have lost my grips and thought I'd get away with it. Anyone that has tried this before, particularly as the whip is for an 8 speed (mine is 11) will know that it can work but that you have to lean on the thing to get it off. Could you bend an axel doing this?, perhaps the free hub body, I'm not sure? I tried a new cassette with exactly the same result.

The setup is a chris king r45 with a campag chorus cassette. Any thoughts on this would be very welcome, I have my first closed roads sportive one week today and would rather not ride my winter bike, that's also in bits!

Thanks in advance, Tom

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Can you post a video so we can see?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Look at the lock ring straight on... is it off centre?
    If so
    You have xthreaded it putting it back on
  • Take the cassette back off. Put the wheel in the dropouts and spin it. Does the free hub look bent?
    If not then check the fitting of the cassette again to ensure that it is mounted square.
  • loukest
    Thanks, this is helpful. I'll have another look and take your advice below re mounting without the cassette. I spoke with Derek this morning at wheelsmith (he built them for me), he said that they have had some problems with Chorus cassettes' riding up the freehub body causing the problem that I have explained, they have solved this by either changing the cassette to anything other than Chorus, or trying a spacer between the 25 and spokes. I don't remember there being one there to be honest but at the same time, I couldn't be sure.

I'm sure that I've not x threaded the lock ring. I think I have either damaged the freehub body/axle or for whatever reason, the cassette is not mounting straight.
  • loukest
    In case anybody is interested in this, I did find the problem. Two of the lips at the end of the freehub splines had snapped off meaning that when tight, the cassette did not sit flush to the freehub. I have no idea how this happened.

My initial reaction was panic, I know how difficult campag freehubs are to get hold of for CK hubs, however, I sent an email to CK asking for advice, they responded within about 30 minutes saying that a new one, including replacement bearings had been dispatched priority airmail. I noticed from the description that the new version is made from steel, the old one looks like it's aluminium to me so perhaps something that has happened before. I know there will be some people who say that it shouldn't have broken in the first place, I accept that these things happen and judge a company on how well they deal with it, top marks for CK there. Thanks again for the replies.