Would I be making a stupid mistake?

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited August 2015 in MTB general
If I parted with the alpine 160 for a transition Bottlerocket?

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Well a little more information would help us answer your question
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Depends what you plan on riding, they're very different bikes.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cubedean
    Well a little more information would help us answer your question

Mainly ride trail centres, prefer going down & jumpy sections than up.

One main thing that's making me want to change is lack of fork choice with the Orange being straight steerer.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    While the bottlerocket is a slopestyle bike so will be better on the jumps, the alpine is a superb descender too. Neither are great for trail centres.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    You see (or used to) a fair few bottlerockets in bike parks over here - the benefit of a chairlift probably helps - I have seen people riding them in more trail situations but they don't look like they are having any fun if gravity is not on their side and at some point it is always going to be against you.

I am assuming you have seen one second hand going for a song? I'd walk on by and find a more UK compatible bike that does what you want but still does the up bit too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cubedean
    You see (or used to) a fair few bottlerockets in bike parks over here - the benefit of a chairlift probably helps - I have seen people riding them in more trail situations but they don't look like they are having any fun if gravity is not on their side and at some point it is always going to be against you.

I am assuming you have seen one second hand going for a song? I'd walk on by and find a more UK compatible bike that does what you want but still does the up bit too.

Indeed, I've seen one for a good price & was intrigued. The Orange is great but I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed by it on the trails & seeing the transition got me thinking about changing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mainly ride trail centres, prefer going down & jumpy sections than up.
    If you had a bike that went up a lot better you may start to enjoy it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.