Chain rubbing the front derailleur in the smallest gear

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,941
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Hi all,

I've noticed recently that when in the granny ring, the chain is rubbing against the inside wall of the front derailleur. I've tried adjusting the limiter screw as far as it will go with no joy.

Is there anything else I can do?

Comments

• mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Hi all,

I've noticed recently that when in the granny ring, the chain is rubbing against the inside wall of the front derailleur. I've tried adjusting the limiter screw as far as it will go with no joy.

By inside wall do you mean the one closest to the centreline of the bike? If it's that, can you release a bit of tension off the front shift cable? That should drop the mech inwards. The other thing to check is that the cage of the mech is aligned correctly with respect to the chainrings. If it's twisted then the chain will be more prone to rubbing. Unfortunately on some bikes the mech hanger position isn't perfect, and you can find the mech just won't drop in enough.
  • phreak
    Hi all,

By inside wall do you mean the one closest to the centreline of the bike? If it's that, can you release a bit of tension off the front shift cable? That should drop the mech inwards. The other thing to check is that the cage of the mech is aligned correctly with respect to the chainrings. If it's twisted then the chain will be more prone to rubbing. Unfortunately on some bikes the mech hanger position isn't perfect, and you can find the mech just won't drop in enough.

I'll give that a go. When you say about releasing the tension in the shift cable, is that a case of loosening the screw at the derailleur and having a bit less cable on it, or is done some other way? Sorry if it's a basic question, very much learning as I go here. Thanks for your help.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Tension is adjusted using the barrel adjuster, clockwise to loosen, anti clockwise to tension. For the FD, there is usually just the inline adjuster on the down tube. RD has this and another on the derailleur body.
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • phreak
    Tension is adjusted using the barrel adjuster, clockwise to loosen, anti clockwise to tension. For the FD, there is usually just the inline adjuster on the down tube. RD has this and another on the derailleur body.

Thanks, I'll give that a go.