New bike advice for newbie please :)

Tricky5971
Tricky5971 Posts: 3
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone,

Newbie road cyclist here and need advice on which bike to buy . Before anyone says what I think they will say, I'm buying a really nice bike because I think that will make me use it more. So the choice is either a pinarello at around 1300, or a giant carbon composite tcr 1 with Reynolds carbon clincher wheels with carbon bearings ? Any advice guys ? I really would appreciate some points

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    You will probably need to give a bit more info on the specific models that you are looking at now but my initial opinion is that, for that money, the Pinarello might have the name on the frame but most of the kit attached to it will probably be comparatively low end - I am assuming that the '1300' is £ Sterling. I don't know what model Giant you are looking at but I suspect it is a lot more money that the Pinarello in question if it has carbon wheels. You might be best fixing a budget, saying what kind of riding you want to do and then waiting for recommendations. Oh, and although they are all likely to be very well meaning, expect a lot of options to be thrown about and therefore to get even more confused - people have their different opinions and different brand loyalties.

Have you got a decent bike shop near you? They might be worth speaking to and, at least, let you draw up a short list.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Oxoman - Had I read yours, I probably wouldn't have posted mine but it wasn't there when I started to reply!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • in regards to what type of riding I'm going to do, I honestly don't know yet. I live in an area not too hilly, but I'm looking to do a few miles to start with and then see how it goes. I think how I ride, position, distance, everything will change once I've started and at the moment I would not know the difference between the equipment so my friend says giant are a good frame and the bike looks good so it's either that or the pinarello which really looks nice . The giant bike is second hand, so if I dont like it I'll lose less money when I sell it I'm assuming . Your right in saying that there are too many types to pick but until I try I won't know I Spose .