Blow out x 2

Eah_Dunno
Eah_Dunno Posts: 10
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Hi guys

Still relatively new to road cycling so hoping some of the more experienced folks out there can share some thoughts :)

After a fairly short run today, luckily only about 0.5 miles from home my back tyre decided that it didnt want to play and let go with a loud bang :( There was no prior warning just a simple, but underwear soiling, pop.

As usual before going out I checked the pressures of both tyres with the rear being softer than I prefer so it was pumped up to the recommeded pressure - 110 bar. On inspection everything appeared normal. As above no dramas during the ride.

Have I just been unlucky or is there anything else I can check before setting off?

Any tips re fitting new inner tube & tyre whilst Im asking?

Thanks for taking the time to read and thanks to anyone, in advance, for any pointers :mrgreen:

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,173
    inner tubes do not go bang if they're inside the tyre

most likely is that when fitting the tyre you nipped the inner tube between tyre bead and rim, so under pressure the tube will eventually squeeze through, the exposed bit will then inflate rapidly until it bursts

once you've got the new tube in place and the tyre on just one side, inflate the tube just enough to become round, then fit the tyre on the other side, doing it this way will grealy reduce the chance of the tube being nipped

btw 110 bar is near rock crushing pressure, ithink you mean 110psi (about 7.5 bar), but depending on your weight and the tyre size, you may have a more enjoyable ride at lower pressure
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Oooooooooops

110 BAR ?? :oops: :shock: That could well be another rookie mistake then ! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Cheers Oxoman & Sungod :wink: