GPS watch cycling

ant41
ant41 Posts: 59
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
I know there are some older strings covering same ground but I need some views on which GPS watch to go for. I have been using a polar cs300 with hrm and speed sensor on bike but after 8yrs it has given up the ghost.

My preference is for a watch over maps as I tend to cycle locally and will have phone as backup in case I get lost. I don't need anything too fancy but would like speed, distance, elevation (if you can get that without maps), hrm preferable. I don't run but equally am not bothered about cadence or sophisticated software to give training regimens etc. I could spend in the region of £150. Essentially I am not sure if the ones at those prices (I.e. polar m400 or garmin forerunner 220) will give me what I need.

Any thoughts welcome
Bonking is fun . . . but not on the bike.

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Are you wanting to continue using your HRM & speed sensor from the polar unit? You'd have to check out compatibility with your replacement GPS, be it Garmin or other.

Do you want navigation of any sort? My 405 watch (7 years old or so now) has not useable navigation beyond a 'get me home' arrow, no idea what the newer units can do but I would have thought the screens on watches are too small.

Why a watch? I've both, since I bought an garmin Edge 500 my watch has been nowhere near a bike. Battery life, screen size, route following (breadcrumb trail) - it's a much better proposition and I bet you can get it for less than £150
  • ant41
    The simple answer is I want to wear it as a watch from time to time . . . . . navigation not a key consideration for me as will use phone as back up but a bonus if I can get it on a watch.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I don't understand. Why would you not just buy a cheap Casio watch if you need a watch and a bike computer for your bike?

The only reason anyone would normally choose a watch on a bike is if they're a runner.
  • Yep a Casio watch and the likes of a Garmin 200 would work better and likely be cheaper.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Sport pursuit have a deal on the Garmin 610 - only £130

http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/garmin-forerunner-610-jul15
  • ant41
    Thanks all. I was thinking about a watch/bike GPS combo but hedging my bets a little In case I want to use it when skiing or in the very unlikely event I decide to run a marathon before I am 40 (and given the only time i run is when late for the train that is a slim chance). That said, I presume a small gps bike computer could be carried on the slopes as it could still see the satellites through clothing (as you can see my technical knowledge is also slim)
  • Thanks all. I was thinking about a watch/bike GPS combo but hedging my bets a little In case I want to use it when skiing or in the very unlikely event I decide to run a marathon before I am 40 (and given the only time i run is when late for the train that is a slim chance). That said, I presume a small gps bike computer could be carried on the slopes as it could still see the satellites through clothing (as you can see my technical knowledge is also slim)

Yes no problem. GPS works through my phone when it's in my pocket for example.

If you want small see Garmin 25.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    I have the Polar M400 and it's a great bit of kit. It does give elevation etc and even gas a back to start function if you do get a bit lost. I got mine online for £99, without the HRM strap, which I thought was a great price. Have also bought a Polar cycle mount so I can stick it on my bars to make it easier to see. Have a read here for more info:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/activity-tracker-review.html

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive