What MTB helmet?

james22b2
james22b2 Posts: 132
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi
Need help picking a helmet for MTB. I am looking for something that has protection at the back of the head, is well vented for hot weather, and is lightweight. Was thinking of:
- Bell Super 2
- Scott Mythic (or Stego)
- Specialized Ambush
- Or any other lower priced helmet - its there much difference other than the aesthetics and price??
Also, anyone believe in MIPS?
Thanks!

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I have the Bell Super along with a 661 Recon and a uvex i-vo. I'm sure the 661 Recon and uvex i-vo will protect you adequately, they all have to pass certain tests, but the Bell is in a different league as far as quality of construction is concerned and that, at the least, is reassuring. It has a good spread of protection around the back and sides (noticeably more than the other two) and I've used it on very hot days and not noticed it being any sweatier (they're all sweaty on hot days). Highly recommended.

And yes, as POAH says, in the end it might come down to fit. The best helmet in the world isn't going to be much fun if it's uncomfortable.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    which ever one fits

Simply this, go to a shop see which fit best and choose from them.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a Met Parabellum which is #enduro styling - I wear it because it fits where the Super, Smith weirdlookingthing and others didn't. Looks Ok though.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I have a POC with MIPS which I tested out a few months back landing on the top of my head off a step down jump I didn't see till it was too late. Left me with concussion feeling dizzy and a little sick for a few mins after and the lid pretty scuffed but otherwise all ok. Fit isn't bad but doesn't suit all and can interfere with eyewear.

A group of us ride Cannock a few weeks back and in all the excitement I had left my lid at home so had to make a quick purchase at the shop on site which was the cheapest helmet they had which ended up being a MET for £29.99. Safe to say this was the most comfortable helmet I have used with its one size fits all system so goes to prove that cost isn't everything.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I have a POC with MIPS which I tested out a few months back landing on the top of my head off a step down jump I didn't see till it was too late.

The MIPS system seems like a good idea from what I've read about it.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Bontranger Quantum. It felt just right when I put it on after trying quite a few others.
    On my second after head planting my first.
    Quite liked the look and colours of the Bontranger Lithos but it just did not feel right.
    Best advice to try as may as possible and take the one that feels the most comfortable.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130