Giant Defy 1 v Genesis Equilibrium 10

JD59
JD59 Posts: 19
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Seriously considering the above 2 bikes, obviously the big difference being the Steel frame of the Genesis. My main concern is the comparative comfort of riding the 2 bikes from both a general riding geometry and , more importantly, shake and vibration from the road. At the moment both are available in my price range of approx £750. Any views , especially from owners, appreciated.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    I assume you are referring to the 2015 model bikes, and the caliper brake model Genesis.

I can only tell you about my impressions of the Defy 0 2013 frame bike, the Defy range had a frame redesign for 2015 D-Fuse seat tube and post and dropped seat stays, though the rest of the frame appears to be the same Aluxx SL material, on the 0, 1 and 2 models, the geometry remains the same.

When I was looking into buying an aluminium frame road bike I was concerned about the potential for a harsh ride due to what I had read and the previous experience of a cycling friend. However when I started to research the subject it appeared that improvements had been made in design and technology by bicycle manufacturers to address this.

I was pleasantly surprised when I rode the Defy at how comfortable it was, I did swop the O.E. fit 23mm tyres for 25mm and latex inner tubes and adjusted the tyre pressures down to suit. I can only compare the Defy to my steel frame road going MTB that I use for commuting and find very comfortable, obviously not a direct comparison, but I don't come back from a ride on the Defy with a numb shaken to pieces body.

I'd go and sit on both bikes to see which you prefer the fit and look of, then decided whether you would be happy with the 10sp on the Genesis or do you want the 11sp on the Defy. The Genesis will take 28mm tyres and spec says the wheels are tubeless compatible. The Defy is limited to 25mm with guards and you will have to use the Giant specific mudguards, if you want them.

The Genesis looks to be heavier than the Defy, but don't let that put you off as the ride will more than likely make up for that. Hope this helps
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    I had a 2012 Defy and changed to an Equilibrium, wow what a difference :D
    The Defy was good, light, quick and fairly comfortable (or so i thought).
    The Equilibrium is a bit heavier, more relaxed, longer wheelbase, room for 28mm tyres and mudguards if needed and so smooth. On my first ride i went over the usual cattle grids and couldn't believe the difference.
    I bought a frame & forks & built it up with handbuilt wheels, 105, & a San Marco Rolls saddle for that retro look.
    Reminds me of the Raleigh Clubman i had in the eighties (now that was a beautiful bike ) :(
    So depends what you want it for, Defy a bit more racy, Equilibrium a bit more relaxed.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • JD59
    Thanks Both. I am looking at the 2015 models. I suppose the latest Defy may have improved its comfort relative geometry since 2012? There are no Genesis dealers in my area although my son has a Volare 20 , so I can probably get a good idea from that. Ideally, I would like them both over a weekend, but that isn't going to happen and I can't take advantage of the Evans swap deal as they don't stock Giant bikes or that would have been the perfect answer.
  • JD59
    ps - According to my research details, the defy seems to have a slightly longer wheelbase now.
  • dj58
    ps - According to my research details, the defy seems to have a slightly longer wheelbase now.

Looks the same to me at 99.5cm on the 50cm medium
    2013 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.defy.0/11833/65276/#geometry
    2015 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.1/19187/77294/#geometry

Genesis Equilibrium 54cm 100.2cm http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/a-road/equilibrium-10

I can well believe what topdude says about the Equilibrium 10 being more comfortable with it's steel frame, curved carbon fork blades and bigger tyres. I like my Defy a lot, however my next bike will probably be a steel frame with room for full mudguards and bigger tyres, I'd also like to try a carbon bike at sometime in the future to see what all the fuss is about. :)
  • JD59
    My point was that the Defy now seems to have a (very) slightly longer wheelbase ( if you compare my 54cm size) whereas' topdude' had suggested the Equilibrium was longer, so it looks like something must have changed since his 2012 Defy model.

cheers
  • Ah dang, I like the Equilibrium. I sold my Defy frame for a TCR because I found it too relaxed. I've been interested in the Equilibrium for a while, but if it's more relaxed than the Defy, do Genesis do a racier steel frame?
    Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
    Focus Cayo AL
  • dj58
    Ah dang, I like the Equilibrium. I sold my Defy frame for a TCR because I found it too relaxed. I've been interested in the Equilibrium for a while, but if it's more relaxed than the Defy, do Genesis do a racier steel frame?

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/frames/volare-853-frameset
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Ah dang, I like the Equilibrium. I sold my Defy frame for a TCR because I found it too relaxed. I've been interested in the Equilibrium for a while, but if it's more relaxed than the Defy, do Genesis do a racier steel frame?

You could check out the Genesis Volare - used by the Madison Genesis Cycling Team

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/genesis-volare-team-bike-2014?gclid=CPLSvKOUjccCFSrpwgod8XcEBg

However they are available on more wallet friendly versions if you are interested

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/296324/products/genesis-2015-volare-40-steel-road-bike-silver-black-red.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CMGOw_iUjccCFYLJtAodGCYA1A