Charge Cooker 2 15mm conversion

Adamgt
Adamgt Posts: 114
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi there.

I'm thinking of buying a Charge Cooker 2 but would want to upgrade the fork which will have a 15mm axle. I'm not sure if the front hub can be converted from 9mm though? Anybody know if there is a conversion kit available? They are Charge Sheild hubs apparently.

http://www.chargebikes.com/bicycle-collection/cooker-2

Thanks.
Cannondale Trail SL 1 29er
Planet X London Road

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Almost certainly a rebranded Joytech or Novatech hub, in which case no, it won't be able to be converted, easy enough to check, if its a normal 9mm axle through cup and cone then it will never be able to take a 15mm!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Don't buy a Charge unless it has a HUGE discount. They are dreadful for the money.
  • Adamgt
    Adamgt Posts: 114
    It was heavily discounted but I didn't go for it in the end. The spec was ok but the fork was rubbish. Ended up with a nearly new Cannondale Trail SL 1, much better :)

Thanks for the advice guys, it might come in use if I want to swap out the forks on this one.
    Cannondale Trail SL 1 29er
    Planet X London Road
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Fork swap on the Canondale will mean a new headset top bearing as well. Canondale use 1.5" straight steerers and you won't find a straight replacement. You can fit a tapered steerer fork.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    New ones already come with a tapered Reba.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools