What's been your experience of Evans mechanics?

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited August 2015 in Workshop
I had a crash yesterday, wrote of a 6800 shifter and called my lbs to ask about the cost of repair. They don't sell them as singles so I was quoted £260 for two shifters and about £60 labour to replace them. I had a quick look on Evans and I can order a pair from them for £160 and was told it would be £35 labour. I feel sorry for the lbs, how can they compete with those prices?

Anyway, I can't fit these myself and would like someone to double check my bike after the crash. I can't help but feel slightly wary about Evans doing a good job... I'm sure there are both good and bad mechanics there, I just wanted to get a few opinions as I'm weighing up the idea of taking the parts to the lbs and asking them to do it instead. (I did ask the lbs if that was ok as I realise it's kinda bad form, but he totally understood and said it'd be fine).

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Any reason you are asking in Workshop ?
    Replacing a shifter is not the most difficult of jobs to do oneself.
    Having issued that advisory, the Evans' shops where have been able to see the spannering at work, seemed competent to me.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    Any reason you are asking in Workshop ?
    Replacing a shifter is not the most difficult of jobs to do oneself.
    Having issued that advisory, the Evans' shops where have been able to see the spannering at work, seemed competent to me.

I figured it'd be better to get the perspective from people who work a lot on their bikes and thought the post might be moved there if I put it somewhere else. I don't feel comfortable doing it myself so I'm glad to hear they seem pretty competent. Cheers
  • How about giving it a go yourself and if it all goes wrong then take it to the LBS or Evans? You've nothing to lose and you might surprise yourself.

Swapping the shifter itself is ludicrously easy but of course you'll have to re-index the gears afterwards but that's not too bad either.

If you have an particular problems just ask on here or do a quick search.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Google it, there are lots of helpful vids on Youtube.
  • If you want to know how an LBS can compete with that, just let an Evans mech near your bike and you`ll find out.

I wouldn`t let the ones in Edinburgh blow up my tyres on the strength of any discussion I`ve had with anyone in that shop.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    If you want to know how an LBS can compete with that, just let an Evans mech near your bike and you`ll find out.

I wouldn`t let the ones in Edinburgh blow up my tyres on the strength of any discussion I`ve had with anyone in that shop.

My personal experiences

- A cross threaded pedal - new crank required - at much kicking up of a stink, calls to head office etc. a new crank supplied by them, though they gave me a double instead of a compact and didn't tell me. I actually waste bothered but shows a mentality
    - a cross threaded seat post bolt on a new bike. Eventually replaced
    - Worst of all - a relatively new rear wheel requiring a redish totally ruined (they twisted the bladed spokes so much they required replacing)which meant for a a total rebuild by the manufacturers approved repair centre - which I had to pay for by the way. After much arguing Evans gave me a refund - they actually wanted to be given the chance to rebuild it - er no thanks.

Im in agreement with other posters - buy the tools with the money you are saving and do it yourself especially if you see yourself cycling for many years.