Callous pain

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited August 2015 in MTB general
With a somewhat poor winter for snow in Whistler last year, I started riding far earlier than I normally would in the season. Started cracking out rides in Feb and did some decent distances and trails since late march.

As a result my riding callouses on my hands are like small flesh based mole hills this summer but have of late started being actually painful. Not so much whilst riding but more in general life.

Anyone else experience this? Without wishing to either sound like too much of a metrosexual perfumed fop or actually to soften them to the point riding hurts my hands, is there any suggested treatment to stop them becoming the pointy edged weapons they currently are?!
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Have you tried different gloves and mitts?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Do you not wear gloves? Are your grips made of sandpaper? How do you get callouses riding a bike (assuming gloves and decent grips)?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Aloe Vera Gelly.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Do you not wear gloves? Are your grips made of sandpaper? How do you get callouses riding a bike (assuming gloves and decent grips)?

I had some specialized gloves, switched to TLD recently. Similarly had some Chromag grips and recently went to ODI waffle. I always get some sort of callous but its usually just a little lumping up of the skin at the base of my fingers (aside from the index which isn't around the grip but on the brake instead) however this year they are more pronounced than last and in both years riding in Whistler bigger than prior years in UK/BC interior.

I assume the rougher more prolonged downhills are a factor for sure - a good days riding involves 1000m vertical for me so we are not talking inconsiderable time in the saddle and that could be 3-4 days a week too. They don't particularly hurt on the bike but they are stinging like a bitch right now at my desk!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Angus Young

I had some specialized gloves, switched to TLD recently. Similarly had some Chromag grips and recently went to ODI waffle. I always get some sort of callous but its usually just a little lumping up of the skin at the base of my fingers (aside from the index which isn't around the grip but on the brake instead) however this year they are more pronounced than last and in both years riding in Whistler bigger than prior years in UK/BC interior.

I assume the rougher more prolonged downhills are a factor for sure - a good days riding involves 1000m vertical for me so we are not talking inconsiderable time in the saddle and that could be 3-4 days a week too. They don't particularly hurt on the bike but they are stinging like a ***** right now at my desk!

Yeah, I guess the big riding is going to take its toll. I'm not doing anywhere near that so I've got hands like a baby!
  • I get them from wearing my summer gloves on the bike and weightlifting. They tend to get sore when they thicken up, a bit cannibalistic but I just bite them of or get some scissors and cut the hard layers away.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I usually soak my hands in hot water for a few minutes then they usually scrape off.
  • Angus Young
    I get them from... ...weightlifting. They tend to get sore when they thicken up, a bit cannibalistic but I just bite them of or get some scissors and cut the hard layers away.

Yeah, I used to get them from weightlifting. And pretty much the same, I used to nibble at them. Now I ride I realise I should have worn gloves when lifting, would have saved a lot of aggro.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One of those 'eggs' for shaving the hard skin off feet works just well on your hands, doesnt dig into 'normal' skin at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.