Giro Synthe

Brian1
Brian1 Posts: 595
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Was about to buy one of these. Then I thought should I wait and get the MIPS version when it comes out. is it worth paying the extra. Thanks

Comments

• macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    i guess it depends if you find the difference worth it. i cant imagine yesterdays model being significantly worse and offering so much less protection you'd worry about it.

how much difference in proce is it?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Did you manage to find any more details out on this? I was about to go for a Synthe as well but am pondering the "upgrade". Saying that, I know you can't put a price on safety but lets be honest you can.....

The original Synthe is around £115 now and the new one looks to have an RRP of €300 so roughly £220. Quite a difference. Puts it up there with the POC Octal MIPS in terms of extortionate pricing.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I can appreciate not wanting to be 'ripped off' by extortionate price differences, but surely its not a rip off at this point in time (unlike tubeless wheels! lol) if money had to be spent in developing the system is it?

The Synthe is not a cheap helmet in the first place, so as its prime function is to protect you, why would you not get the one that does that better?
    If you can afford a Synthe, you can afford a Synthe MIPS IMO.

The real question is, can you afford not to? :wink:
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Surely every helmet that has past the required safety standard tests protects you, even the £10 aldi ones?

They extra price is for more stylish lighter more aero helmets not for extra protection?
  • Anonymous
    They all pass the same test, but why would you assume that some are not better than others?
    Especially MIPS ones.
  • Surely every helmet that has past the required safety standard tests protects you, even the £10 aldi ones?

They extra price is for more stylish lighter more aero helmets not for extra protection?

Well that's mainly true and it's our fault as consumers that we buy based on weight, price and looks so aren't really incentivising manufacturers to push the safety factor. If they try to exceed the pretty low bar of the CE/CPSC standard and it adds weight they get punished at the tills so why would they?

Things like MIPS do add weight and are claimed to improve safety so we should applaud them for having a go. I will feel like such a hypocrite if I don't get one but 40g heavier and will have to pay full RRP initially.....
  • Anonymous
    Whats wrong with buying a helmet based on weight, aero/ventilation and looks?

I guess a lot of people assume that the safety factor is not really that improvable (and may be better on more expensive ones anyway) with things that are very similar.
    MIPS may change that, but then you will just enrage the cost haters.

IMO there are some glasses that are significantly safer than others.
    Maybe a lot of people buy those because they are safer, rather than looks and performance etc? How would you know?

Do you guys that buy your £10 Aldi helmets buy all your non cycling clothes there too?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    You are right, most of helmets will do a similar job protecting your noggin, so different features become deciding factor. For example, i like looks of my current helmet ( Protone ) way less than previous one, but it fits my cranium incredibly snugly and, my current favourite feature, is relatively quiet at speed. Good weight, slots glasses securely as well without needing to turn them.
    I would wear Aldi helmet if it did all this.