Bought a threadless bottom bracket - doesn't fit in the shel

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited August 2015 in The workshop
I have an old (2004 GT) MTB with damaged threads in the BB shell that I thought I'd try and resurrect. I bought a YST threadless bottom bracket here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealed-Bearings-Threadless-Bottom-Bracket-For-Damaged-Frames-Threads-110-127-/261543679095?var=560418703178

The non-drive side cup bit slid in fine but the drive side just wouldn't fit. I tried forcing it but it was impossible and even with a hammer and plenty of grease no progress was made. It ended up damaged and was subsequently binned. It was maybe 1mm or so too big in diameter.

I'm confused, I know bottom bracket shells have different widths but I thought the diameter was consistent so I don't understand why it wouldn't fit? The bike was supplied with a run of the mill Truativ chainset and a generic cartridge BB so this looked like a straight replacement.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Should have fitted fine, are you sure there isn't something (maybe part of the old BB) left in there?

What happened when you tried the NDS part in the farme drive side and vice versa?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Forgot about this thread.

Definitely nothing in there. The non-drive side cup went in just fine on either side.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Must have been faulty then as the DS and NDS side cups should fit interchangeably.

Did the DS cup go into the NDS of the frame?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.