mtber maybe looking for first road bike

fent
fent Posts: 32
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
After a year off the mountain bike my fitness has dropped right off and I'm thinking of buying a road bike for training purposes so I can train all through the week, not just at weekends.

I normally ride an orange alpine with upgraded fox talas 36 and DH spring so I am used to a decent quality bike, big 203mm disc brakes etc. The budget for the road bike is going to be minimal, maybe entry level so I'm after some advice. I have no idea about road bike technology but I know that it's not going to be anything like my orange. I'm after something, maybe about £500 that is good for regular training and isn't going to need regular repairs.
I'm ok with the spanners so maybe something with a good frame and I can upgrade parts later if desired but I'd rather not if I can help it as I prefer to spend money on mtbing.
Looking online at Spesh allez about £480. This seems like the cheap end of the market so will something like this be a good buy or will it means lots of upgrading to half decent components etc?
I know spesh as I also have a hard rock pro which has been a good low cost bike, any other good suggestions? I am not familiar with alot of these road bike makes
and this was supposed to be my 'cheaper' hobby
Orange Alpine for fun, Spesh hard rock for off road commute and maybe a road bike too soon.

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,009
    You are me. Santa Cruz Heckler, Fox VAN 36's, XT/XTR + Thompson finishing Kit.

My fast bike is an Allez, I don't think you can go wrong with them TBH and if you want, upgrade the groupset to 105 which is on a par with XT in the real world.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Lots of 2015 bargains about with the 2016 models released now. Specialized have a tight reign on pricing so will determine shop discount prices too - so there may be better bargains about.

As it's your first road bike, I'd recommend getting it from a local shop - as I'm sure you'd say for a first MTB.

All the usual suspects make bikes in this price range. So if you know brand-x makes half decent entry level MTBs, it'll be the same for road. £500 is spot on for a reasonable starter at RRP. So with the sales, you may get something better. For a £700 RRP bike, the frame will be the same, but it'll have improved groupset or wheels.

PS - give it 12 months, you'll be planning the third road bike (carbon) and maybe a forth set of wheels.....
  • At that price, go for a giant defy or a btwen triban, and keep your eyes open for end-of-seasson sales.
    One thing that you have to keep in mind is the difference in braking between road and MTB. The brakes in entry level road bikes will feel extremely disappointing if you are transitioning from a good quality MTB. This can be fixed by upgrading you brake pad or your brakes.
    My recommendation will be to buy the best sora-equiped road bike you can afford (look at the defy 3, or the triban 520), and then upgrade the brakes to shimano 105 5800 (http://goo.gl/ynPzRO). The difference in braking is huge.
  • fent
    Thanks all, I'll do a search for those suggestions, Not seen the defy so I'll look into it.
    I was told that spesh were good with warranty issues when buying my first MTB and it's true, I had a small problem with the forks which the shop swapped right away, no quibbles.
    I have heard that road brakes are shocking compared to MTB hydraulic discs so I am prepared for this but it looks like my budget is gonna get me something ok.

I don't know about getting 3 road bikes goose, you'll be telling me I'll be wearing skin tight lycra and shaving my legs next, LOL. I used to do alot of road riding as a kid and much prefer blasting down a rocky, rooty trail.

Cheers
    Orange Alpine for fun, Spesh hard rock for off road commute and maybe a road bike too soon.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The biggest thing i found with road bikes coming from mountain biking is rim brakes are a big step down from XT disc brakes. Especially in the wet. You may find a better deal second hand.
  • fent
    Giant Defy 3 arrived last week, had a couple of rides on it and it's going pretty well. The rim brakes aren't actually as bad as I was expecting but oh my god, no front suspension means that I can feel every bump in the road. My phone keeps jumping out of it's holder. Currently on the look out for the smoothest roads for my training loop now.

Loving it so far, much easier for training now I have a larger framed bike. I can see that it won't be long before my fitness is back up and I can get back to enjoying my off roading rather than feeling disappointed and knackered
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    I've just done same. Usually ride a Nukeproof Mega AM (SLX brakes, Pikes etc etc) and have just bought a Ribble Sportive for training purposes. Know what you mean about feeling every bump........also very strange feeling wearing lycra :lol:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    The rim brakes aren't actually as bad as I was expecting but oh my god, no front suspension means that I can feel every bump in the road. My phone keeps jumping out of it's holder. Currently on the look out for the smoothest roads for my training loop now.

giant s r4 700x25c tyres?

Are thoose wired plus 60 tpi?

Quality tyres and a slighlty lower psi can make a bit difference to how the bike feels on the road. When you buy a new bike sometimes they have cheap = lower tpi wired tyres on it as stock, and the recommended psi written on tyres often seems high, by dropping 10 psi can make a smoother ride.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    As above experiment with your tyre pressures, higher TPI count tyres will also help with ride quality as do latex inner tubes.
  • fent
    ok I'll check what pressure I am running. Tyres says max 120psi! I'm used to Maxxis minions with freeride tubes at about 35psi.

Moonbiker, correct so maybe I'll start looking at some quality tyres. I'm sure I'll need something more substantial for winter

Myster,
    Sounds like you'll soon be shaving those legs to knock 1/10 second off your Strava time ;)
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    ok I'll check what pressure I am running. Tyres says max 120psi! I'm used to Maxxis minions with freeride tubes at about 35psi.

Moonbiker, correct so maybe I'll start looking at some quality tyres. I'm sure I'll need something more substantial for winter

Myster,
    Sounds like you'll soon be shaving those legs to knock 1/10 second off your Strava time ;)

Haha yea, KOM here I come :lol:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive