Shoot a certain dentist?

2»

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Let it go Pina, you may as well be arguing with Vtech.
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    ^^^^^^^^^^ for pinas post.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,084
    Let it go Pina, you may as well be arguing with Vtech.

Yeah, I haven't shot an animal so I wouldn't understand.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Trophy hunting might appear less defensible alongside fox hunting with hound packs, but unless you do not kill animals you have no room to critisise.

This logic just doesn't stand up. Killing an animal to eat serves a purpose. Killing an animal in an inhumane way for personal satisfaction means you have serious issues. It means you gain enjoyment from inflicting pain and needlessly destroying life for no reason.

I will sit here all day and agree with you about how disgusting the industrialised meat industry is. I also appreciate your logic regarding food detachment and responsible sourcing but it's an entirely separate debate to the barbaric act of trophy and fox hunting which serves no purpose whatsoever.

I don't eat meat - I haven't done for many years. Yes, that extends to wearing leather, gelatine, rennet and all of the other foodstuffs and cosmetics that animal byproducts fine themselves in to. This doesn't make me a vegan though because I occasionally drink milk and eat eggs - form a farm down the road.
    I can admire any vegetarian for living a lifestyle that they feel is ethically suited to them, but do not think that preaching or condemning is part of that admirable choice. That says something different about that person IMO.

Just to clarify, you do realise that you're the one who's preaching and condemning?
    tick - tick - tick
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    So are you changing your statement then. To exclude pheasants etc.

I kill plenty animals as do you apparently. Only difference is I take responsibility for the ones I kill.

I fail to see how anyone who will quite happily pay someone to kill a cow or a chicken (and all the stress and suffering that entails) so they can eat it and wear it, can find it in themselves to critisise anyone for killing any animal.

Personally I fail to see how anyone eating a supermarket chicken can live with themselves

OK, so you need to do everything yourself rather than leave it to others. Me, I eat meat but I don't slaughter it myself, 'cos I'm not a caveman. There are food factories for that. Same as I don't bake my own bread, manufacture my own drugs (ahem!), perform my own surgery, etc. Our modern society is interdependent. That's how it works. So saying someone doesn't know what they are talking about because they've never skinned a rabbit is facile.

Oh, and "Marathon Man" works well for Dr DeadLion

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I'd question the mental state of someone who relishes the idea of tracking down and killing a wild animal, be it a lion or a pheasant or anything in between.
    Where's the thrill? It's hardly competition is it?
    If this dentist's business goes down the plug hole it'll be poetic justice.

100% Agree

Are you both vegan ? or do you outsource your animal killing to others ?

The scary thing is that you can't seem to differentiate between killing for food and killing for pleasure, what he did was for self pleasure, the warped kudos he got for paying 2 guides to lure an ageing lion out of a protected area by dragging meat on the back of a truck, then making sure he had 2 guides with guns stood aside him while he took aim with a weapon that was incredibly unlikely to kill this poor beast outright. The only reason they went to find it and finish it off 40 hours later was to skin it and get a trophy head. You can't seriously be defending this action!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Every year nearly 1000 lions are killed in legal hunting safaris in Africa and no one says a word. I just hope the fact that this incident has gone off the Richter so quickly doesn't mean it burns out just as quickly. Past evidence would suggest it will.

I wasn't aware of this reality... it is depressing
    left the forum March 2023
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Don`t feel a need to bite your tongue. I`ve had it all from plenty who disagree.

None of them were vegan though, so I had a problem accepting their criticism was justified I`m afraid.

Leather and wine gums let them all down.

Actually, other than yogurt and cheese I am basically vegan!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The scary thing is that you can't seem to differentiate between killing for food and killing for pleasure, what he did was for self pleasure, the warped kudos he got for paying 2 guides to lure an ageing lion out of a protected area by dragging meat on the back of a truck, then making sure he had 2 guides with guns stood aside him while he took aim with a weapon that was incredibly unlikely to kill this poor beast outright. The only reason they went to find it and finish it off 40 hours later was to skin it and get a trophy head. You can't seriously be defending this action!
    There are other reasons to kill - other than for food - game hunting in the UK is still a big buisiness - pheasants are bred just for the game - no risk to the huntsman - stag hunting is also prevelant - I understand it's only to help control numbers - so hunts are targeted - ok, both of those targets can be butchered and eaten so it's not just a killing for pleasure, but it's certainly not killing purely for the food ... then you get pigeon shooting, rabbiting and such like ...

There is a thrill in hunting/stalking - so I can understand the desire to do it - I just don't agree with targeting an endangered species - but I'd love to stalk a lion (or any big cat) on foot and shoot it - with a camera ...
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I ve tracked game in South Africa, my 2nd cousin was a part time ranger, an amazing experience but we just watched, took a few pic's and left them all in peace.
    A Lion in the wild is an absolute delight to behold, they are beautiful, very big and very dangerous - i ve also done loads of shooting in the UK but why anyone would want to kill a Elephant, Lion whatever is totally beyond me - this dentist should go back to Zim and face the music and perhaps 5 or 10 years in a Harare Hotel will deter him and others.
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    11807414_10153460420130792_5406970688865698086_o.jpg
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,084
    ^ :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032

How anyone who has seen these animals in the wild can want to go out and shoot them, is beyond me, he is as you say Bally, a total cxxt.
    Just like the dentist, this shoot looks like it was legal but why is it?
    the EU should crack down on this, (as should the USA government) if the EU cant or wont then i am starting to think there is little point in the EU - i m not holding my breath as they been shown to be pretty useless at everything recently.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    There is another post in which someone is saying they might buy a gun because they don't like the rabbits in his garden and that is fine but this is not? smacks a bit of hypocrisy.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes