First Tubular Wheelset

paul.thompson97
paul.thompson97 Posts: 6
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
At the risk of being criticised for my choice, I would like the opinion of more experienced people than myself. I have a Focus Cayo 1.0 & I have a Fulcrum Racing Quattro wheel set fitted. I use the Focus for weekend rides/training & sportives. I have decided I fancy splashing the cash & getting a wheel upgrade, not because I need one but just because I want to treat myself. Been looking at Reynolds Assault SLG & also fancy going tubular. I'm after some feedback from anyone that's running them or tried them to see what they're like & if they're worth the investment. Also I'm after a pretty puncture resistant all round tub. It's just a vanity thing really & I'd love to give these a try. Thanks in advance for any recommendations or advice in advance, it's much appreciated.

Comments

• bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Too few cyclists enjoy the pleasures of riding tubs. Maybe only 5%?

I've run tubs for over 10 years now, and love them.

Stick with a quality all purpose tub like the Vittoria CX (NOT the old EVO), or Mavic's Yksion or the pricier Veloflex Carbons and you'll be good to go. Puncture resistance is pretty good.
  • I've read a bit on tubs recently & they seem safer, faster & lighter. The only downside I can see is carrying a spare. I was speaking to a mate of mine about it & I kind of goaded him into buying a set of Mavic Cosmic CXR 60 tubs & it's since made me want to take the plunge too, although not quite as costly. I was looking at some Continental Sprint, Gatorskin or competition tubs. I've got Vittoria Corsa SC2 clinchers on my Quattro's so will definitely look at the CX once I do/if go for it & bite the bullet. Is it better to use tape or glue?
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I like mine for racing TTs on- I currently use the old Vittoria Corsa Evos and echo the comments above- avoid like the plague!!

Conti sprinters are a reasonable choice for first time tubs- don't believe the reviews saying they ride like hosepipes, it's not true. They are 22mm and make my current 21mm corsas feel very unforgiving, not to mention far more grippy in the corners.

The Vittoria Corsa CX III are also a good shout if you only intend on racing on them, but they cut badly in the wet and probably won't last as long as the Sprinters. They are also more expensive. I would probably trust the sprinters on a dry summer ride with a can of pit stop and a spare tub- and not expect to puncture the corsas maybe not.
    Another advantage of the sprinters is they have a butyl inner tube so they don't deflate overnight, and lend themselves better to putting sealant in when they do eventually puncture- they won't deflate and gunk everything up. I've heard that they also become very tough tyres with sealant installed, but don't use it until you've had the first puncture as over a long time it can ball up inside the tube, and as you can't get it out you'll then have to bin the lot.

Really lightweight tubs from veloflex pack down as small as an innertube, but should be used as a 'get me home' option as they don't stand up to much abuse- I would prefer to keep a spare 'normal' tub in a pocket tbh, they're not too terrible to stow away, and you could always stow it under the saddle 'old school' style.

As for wheels, planet X are good, although my favourite wheels are 38mm- you still get most of the aero benefit (which isn't all that much anyway) but get a very light rim and stiff enough wheel. It's a shame you can't seem to find them anywhere except farsports, which could be more of a gamble.

If you enjoy fiddling with your bike and are happy taking your time with properly changing tyres then you'll get on great with tubs and you'll realise why the pros use them, but if not then I would stick to quality clinchers that you won't be scared to use.

Good luck!
  • I only post rarely - and then only if i have some actual experience, but wanted to suggest the Vittoria Corsa Elites. I have been running a set since last year and been really impressed, I know it's mostly just luck but mine have lasted better than the Sprinter Gatorskins they replaced and are fairly cheap. I have also ran the 25mm Pave's and will be going back to the Elites - for me they hit the right balance of performance, price and life.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Veloflex Arrenburgs for me although the Vittoria Paves are supposed to be good. I carry a cheap pre-glued Tufo as a spare that fits inside a small Fizik seat pack along with a CO2 etc so folds small enough.

There are plenty of wheel options out there without the need to break the bank. I wouldn't bother with 50mm rim depths and go with 38mm. Similar aero benefits but whilst not as stiff, they're a little less twitchy in cross winds.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I just bought 2 x Vittoria CX's for 39 Euros each
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    My favourite tubs are vittoria corsa cx, conti competition, conti gp4000s or vittoria pave.
    Also like the conti sprinter gatorskin for shifty road use. Many conti tubs come in 25mm form. They ride very well and are grippy. Tubs are very practicle just waiting for all my clincher rims to wear out.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.