Marmotte v Maratona

Road Red
Road Red Posts: 232
Time of year for a few pints and planning for 2016.

How do the Marmotte and Maratona compare? Mainly interested in the view on the difficulty factor in each.

Thanks

Comments

• jsutty
    jsutty Posts: 27
    I did the Marmotte in 2013 and the Maratona this year, under similar conditions (35 degree heat). I was fitter for the Maratona, but I found them equally tough (sorry I'm not helping much here), but maybe that's just a measure of how hard I pushed myself. The Marmotte is probably harder (it took me almost two hours longer)...and it's difficult to remember how hard I found something two years ago but a few points to consider:
    - Marmotte has longer, steeper climbs.
    - The Giau is the only beast in the Maratona - I found it far worse than anything in the Marmotte - at least with the Alpe you know you're there once you get to the top.
    - Maratona is FAR better organised. It's a great event and a nicer area to hang out in before and after (I can recommend San Cassiano). You get tons of free stuff (Castelli jersey, bibs, gilet) for instance.
    - However, the Maratona is packed at the start, and it'll be a while before you get any sort of rhythm. Coupled with the more up and down nature of the climbs, this sort of means you're doing intervals for the first part of it. I much prefer the long steady climbs of the Marmotte.
    - You can bail out at the Maratona and do the short or medium course. Overall I would say the standard of rider is higher at the Maratona if you only consider those doing the long course.
    - Maratona will test your descending too. Marmotte has the descent off the Glandon (neutralised), the one of the Telegraph (brief), and the one off the Galibier (fast but not technical). If you're from the UK, chances are you'll lose a lot of time descending at the Maratona (:P)
    - Altitude and heat sickness played a bit part at both for me. (again, not helping, sorry).
    - Marmotte has the more famous climbs.

Personally, I think I'm more likely to do the Maratona again, even though I was much happier with my performance there, largely because it's just a better organised event in a nicer area. The Alps are beautiful, and the Glandon and Galibier are amazing, but you'll be spending your time on the 80s shitfest of Alpe D'Huez.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    Never done the Maratona but the stats back up the Marmotte being harder, especially if they use this years route again! Everyone I know that has done the Maratona talks in similar terms to jsutty about the organisation though.

It's true the standard of descending at the Marmotte is variable but as a group of English club cyclists we were carving past loads so some more technical descents would have been welcome.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • shisaa
    shisaa Posts: 82
    I rode the Maratona in 2013 and the Marmotte this year. In terms of difficulty I'd say the Marmotte is definitely harder, certainly this year. It's longer, has more climbing, and finishes on a climb. I think the Maratona does too now, but it's not the Alpe. The Marmotte will take around 1-2 hours longer I'd guess.

I think the Maratona is the better event though. As said before the organisation is fantastic, along with all the freebies and food. It feels like a bigger event in general (I remember the helicopter filming the start) and the views are fantastic.

If you're a Tour fan though the Marmotte is surrounded by iconic climbs like the Alpe d'Huez, Galibier and Croix de Fer.
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Hi, I don't think its been mentioned in any of the above comments but the Maratona is on closed roads 8)

Both events should be completed at some stage but the Maratona organisation is very slick.

2016 is the 30th edition of the Maratona so should be a little more special :D
  • kelliano
    kelliano Posts: 72
    Hi, I don't think its been mentioned in any of the above comments but the Maratona is on closed roads 8)

Both events should be completed at some stage but the Maratona organisation is very slick.

When does entry open for 2016 Maratona? Presume it goes to a ballot?
  • Ankles50
    Ankles50 Posts: 53
    Web site says Maratona registration 2016 updates will be posted in September
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    What are the logistics like in terms of getting to the Maratona? Best airport etc?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    I've done the Maratona three times now and it's a fantastic event, and there are some fantastic climbs in and around the area too if you're staying for a bit longer (which I'd recommend). Off the top of my head you've got the likes of Plan de Corones, Erbe, Fedaia, San Pellegrino, Duran, Malga Framont and no doubt many more.

As others have said, the organisation of the event is spot on and one that I'd heartily recommend. If you want to do it, I'd go with the Cycling Weekly gang. It's a bit more expensive but you get a guaranteed entry.
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Re Logistics, I've flown, driven, entered via Cycling Weekly group (Ian Parr organisers on their behalf) and also been with Holimites.com :P
    Fly into Venice and it's 2 / 2.5hr drive to Corvara.
    I love a road trip so that's been my usual form of travel.
    Ian Parr has loads of experience of this event and does an excellent job under the CW umbrella.
    Holimites are very reasonable when compared with other event tour operators.
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    I'm keen to have ago at the Maratona if I'm up to it. I've just completed the Cavandish Rise Above 185Km. How would the Maratona compare in difficulty to that event, just to give me a ballpark idea of my capability! :?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    I'm keen to have ago at the Maratona if I'm up to it. I've just completed the Cavandish Rise Above 185Km. How would the Maratona compare in difficulty to that event, just to give me a ballpark idea of my capability! :?

In terms of the time in the saddle it may be comparable. The Maratona will probably take you 6-7 hours to do, but it's literally either up or down the whole way. Of the 4000m of climbing, most are 30-60 minute climbs of between 6-10% grade, so a very different beast to the short, sharp climbs you often get in Britain.

I wouldn't worry though, the route is such that you can bail at various points should you be finding it a bit much. If you've done these kind of mountains before then I'm sure you'll be fine. If you haven't then I'd heartily recommend a few days out there before hand both to acclimatise and to take in some of the other great climbs in the area.
  • Hi, I don't think its been mentioned in any of the above comments but the Maratona is on closed roads 8)

It's pretty tough to get into the Maratona, whereas it is pretty easy to get into the Marmotte!
    I have done the Marmotte, but want to do the Maratona. If I don't get in again this year, I will go for the Alpine Brevet or Ötztaler Radmarathon, my legs hope I get into the Maratona!
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    I'd echo the comments above.

Marmotte is the harder ride, (You can see the stats) but the Maratona is the better event.
    I've done the Marmotte once and the Maratona twice.
    I would suggest that the Marmotte is a one day event. The Maratona is a week long festival.

I wasn't going to do it next year, but now I am starting to twitch a little....
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,102
    Never done the Maratona but the stats back up the Marmotte being harder, especially if they use this years route again!

The main road will not reopen before the end of 2016 at the earliest - it will be a horrible long new tunnel which will make the road even less fun to ride than before.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Never done the Maratona but the stats back up the Marmotte being harder, especially if they use this years route again!

The main road will not reopen before the end of 2016 at the earliest - it will be a horrible long new tunnel which will make the road even less fun to ride than before.
    Ah, hadn't seen that news till your mention. http://www.lemedia05.com/tag/tunnel-du-chambon/ - though a 1km tunnel isn't too bad if well lit - only two or three minutes.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Bugger - thats not what I wanted to read :(

I have thought about the Marmotte for a few years having done the Maratona in 2012 and QBH in 2013. Just a few weeks ago I signed up for the 2016 Marmotte on a package deal with a few mates. I had (wrongly) hoped/assumed the tunnel would be up and running again and a quick Google search didnt find anything to contradict that hope. Having paid a non-refundable deposit and booked flights already, I'm stuck now and disappointed. Still going to be an awesome challenge but its just not going to the 'the Marmotte' really is it :(

My vote would be the Maratona nyway, as nothing has come close to topping the experience of ridig there, with the atmosphere, crowds, scenery etc. Was going to do that again in 2016 until I booked the Marmotte....
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Both are fantastic and hard to call between the two as everybody likes different aspects of each. Difficulty wise our experience is that a lot of people underestimated the revised Marmotte routes difficulty which caught a lot of people out when the heat of the day was also factored in. So while not doing down the difficulty of the Maratona (still a challenging event in its own right with a pretty relentless saw tooth profile), I'd say most riders would find the Marmotte to be a tougher event.

Difficulty aside, the Marmotte is probably the one to go for if you are big on TdF history and want the wide ranging recognition from friends and club mates that comes with doing arguably the most well known cycling event (Etape aside I'd say the Marmotte is probably the closest cycling has to the London Marathon), while the Maratona is the one to go for if you want a truly unique experience from the scenery to the organisation and overall atmosphere and aren't so bothered about doing an event that isn't as familiar to the non-hardcore cyclists.

Either way you'll have a fantastic time if you get the training miles in!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Don't be disappointed about the original route not being used on next years La Marmotte. I felt exactly the same this year, turns out the route they used whas absolutely epic. Whilst the Galibier may have legendery status the climb on the Croix de Fer is every bit as tough and the Mollard before it is significantly tougher than the Telegraphe plus the new route takes in the Lacets de Montvernier. It's harder than the previous route, nearly 3,000 didn't finish this year, and it's actually a much better ride all round. I know it's not "La Marmotte" but as I've been reminding my cycle club mates those that have done the tougher version are the ones who have claim to the bragging rights!! So long as you are fit enough you will have a blast trust me, so look forward to it :D
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    Don't be disappointed about the original route not being used on next years La Marmotte. I felt exactly the same this year, turns out the route they used whas absolutely epic. Whilst the Galibier may have legendery status the climb on the Croix de Fer is every bit as tough and the Mollard before it is significantly tougher than the Telegraphe plus the new route takes in the Lacets de Montvernier. It's harder than the previous route, nearly 3,000 didn't finish this year, and it's actually a much better ride all round. I know it's not "La Marmotte" but as I've been reminding my cycle club mates those that have done the tougher version are the ones who have claim to the bragging rights!! So long as you are fit enough you will have a blast trust me, so look forward to it :D

Damn, this is not what I wanted to read :D I feel a change of plan coming on...
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Don't be disappointed about the original route not being used on next years La Marmotte. I felt exactly the same this year, turns out the route they used whas absolutely epic. Whilst the Galibier may have legendery status the climb on the Croix de Fer is every bit as tough and the Mollard before it is significantly tougher than the Telegraphe plus the new route takes in the Lacets de Montvernier. It's harder than the previous route, nearly 3,000 didn't finish this year, and it's actually a much better ride all round. I know it's not "La Marmotte" but as I've been reminding my cycle club mates those that have done the tougher version are the ones who have claim to the bragging rights!! So long as you are fit enough you will have a blast trust me, so look forward to it :D

thanks for that - having just returned from Spain and doing the Covadonga, Gamoniteiro and Angliru, I'll treat that as the start of my base training for the new Marmotte then 8)

Just need to make sure I'm fit enough next year now!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Ridden both Marmotte & Maratona and hands down Maratona wins. Its epic scenery, tough cycling and amazing food! Ive signed up with love Velo for their 2016 package because i did it with them last year.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Ridden both Marmotte & Maratona and hands down Maratona wins. Its epic scenery, tough cycling and amazing food! Ive signed up with love Velo for their 2016 package because i did it with them last year.

^^^^Maratona every time, much more intense an experience and though shorter and less climbing there is also less recovery too, done it 8 times, next year a sportive in the SOF for a change.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    Don't forget the Marmotte is on the new course again next year, not a lot of recovery in that, definitely harder than the previous route.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • The draw has been done and after 2 years of not getting picked, I am in!
    Any tips for accomodation? I am excited already, I haven't done a big sportive since the Marmotte 2013!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    The draw has been done and after 2 years of not getting picked, I am in!
    Any tips for accomodation? I am excited already, I haven't done a big sportive since the Marmotte 2013!

Nice one!
    i ve done it for 8 years and can recomend San Cassiano, this place in particular, where ever you go book asap.
    http://www.residencevally.it/en/residence-san-cassiano-badia/1-0.html
    Its a short ride to the start and San C has great eateries and bars

Moreno and vally are fantastic hosts and Moreno helps at the first food stop on campolongo, so can take any extra clothing you needed at the start but dont now for the finish.