Newbie here, got my bike! And another!

niallmo
niallmo Posts: 103
edited September 2015 in Road beginners
Got a great deal on a Carrera Vanquish. Happy with something I don't really have to worry about if I crash or fall off or it gets stolen. If I take to it I'll get a better spec when I've got some decent mileage.

D2BC34B9-EB45-4F3C-8AD9-337AA307EE2E_zpseph54hth.jpg

It's 54cm, I'm 5' 10" so just about in the right range, I've changed the 130mm stem for a 90mm and that's made it feel really good.

image.jpg1_zpsiy8vqxg3.jpg

Ordered some Lezyne lights, F and R Femto and a Front Microdrive. Got a high viz Boardman Wind jacket, DHB waterproof Fluro, Boardman Gel shorts and an Adidas Climalite Jersey on the way.

Bought a track pump with gauge and have a Co2 valve, couple of canisters and a Lezyne repair kit coming.not going with cleats yet as I'll only be doing less than 20 miles a week to start with. Will buy a couple of inner tubes and start saving for some Gatorskins. I do get a bit obsessed with things (I have 12 guitars) so I've been hanging around here, doing some research and trying to find some deals.

Hoping to get towards 20 miles a day with a 50 at the weekend.

Comments

• sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    Welcome and enjoy :)
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Welcome and enjoy :)

Yep, enjoy it. Best thing I ever did.
    Try and find a rural setting for ya rides if you can. Very relaxing, beautiful to look at and not as scary or embarrassing if you fall off! ;)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Go for it, just don't forget rest days are important in building fitness.
  • Nice bike, I had a Carrera Kraken mountain bike and it was faultless. Good luck with the riding.
    "Great minds think a bike"
  • niallmo
    Thanks!

I'm up to about 30 miles a week, may get 50 in this week, I'm riding day on, day off at the mo so as to have some recovery. Did eight miles tonight "to keep the legs going". :D

I've just swapped the pedals for Shimano SPD. I felt an Immediate improvement in the way the whole bike felt. I only toppled over once! I have Cyclecraft on the way and I'm going to try and use my Giant CRS hybrid for a couple of days to get to work.

I certainly feel that in the future, a more expensive bike may be worth while. Better start saving! Perhaps something a bit racier than the Vanquish.

I'm in a very small town (in the middle of Sheffield/Rotherham/Worksop) rather than a city so I have some ace routes and some national cycle route sections so it's leafy lanes and some small hills.
  • crannman
    crannman Posts: 99
    I started out on a Carrera virtuoso 2 yrs ago im 55 now got a giant defy 2 great bike keeping Carrera for winter use ......I from Rotherham some nice routes around to get you going
  • niallmo
    Well, 6 weeks in, 166 miles, average of two rides a week. 20 mile biggest ride and 14/15 mph average. Loving cleats, they've helped with smoothness of pedalling. I've found some nice smooth roads and hopefully I can do some bigger miles now. Very happy with the Carrera Vanquish, trying to sort out some Shimano RS21 wheels from Ribble, I guess they will make a noticeable difference along with some decent tyres?

Almost got my Giant Hybrid sorted, needs a new cassette, I've changed the front and rear dérailleur sand chain. Swapped the tyres to Schwalbe Marathons so know I can sort a puncture. Would like to do some more relaxed miles on that.

I now want a steel frame vintage racer for some outright fun. Keep tracking them on eBay trying to score a cheap Reynolds 531. I think I'll be selling some guitars to fund it!
  • niallmo
    7B8C0A6B-12C4-4F22-AB1A-B15BF447A61D_zpszccznnfz.jpg

Got the new wheels and tyres on. Ordered a Charge Spoon Black saddle with green stitching and a white seat post.

Over 200 miles now. Itching to get back out.
  • niallmo
    Got the Charge Spoon Saddle. Goes perfectly with the bike. Looks great! Seat post hopefully arriving tomorrow along with a Heart Rate Monitor. I need to be a little careful I don't push too hard as I had a Hole in the Geart operation when I was 5 which may affect things now I'm 40. I pushed a bit tonight and I feel good but some of the last five miles was tough. Need to see what the old ticker is doing I think.

This was tonight...

https://www.strava.com/activities/388678260

I've also signed up for a 30 mile SkyRide on November 22nd which starts two miles from my house and uses some of the roads I ride.

This is the SkyRide....
    https://www.goskyride.com/Search/Details?eventid=63209
  • niallmo
    80F622F7-3EA8-4D47-8CC0-B7C753B2B108_zpsos9r8zfa.jpg

Got this in a blinding deal. Bit scruffy but all seems to work and it feels good. Out for first time on it tonight. Will report back.
  • niallmo
    Very impressed with the Boardman. Obvious that the lighter weight and stiffer frame make a big difference. 27 miles that felt like ten on the Carrera. I'll be taking it to my LBS for a full service as it doesn't look like it's ever Been cleaned or degreased.

Might have to get a slightly shorter stem as the 130mm puts a bit too much stretch in for me I think. But we'll see next time as I've moved the saddle down and forward that may make a difference. Thinking about a White Charge Spoon saddle too...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very nice. Try putting the RS21s on the Boardman. They make a quick bike!! Enjoy riding it now! Save some money for a holiday!
  • niallmo
    I don't think there's much in it between the Shimanos and Mavics. I pulled the front wheels off last night and there was no noticeable difference in weight. I might still change them over if I have a free couple of hours as I'll swap the tyres too as they are colour matched to the bikes. I've got Vittoria Rubino Pros on the Carrarera and the Boardman has Open Corsas on it.

I've taken the reflectors off the Boardman too :)
  • niallmo
    Hmmm...didn't put a name or spec to the Boardman!

It's a Road Team Carbon LTD 2013.

Shimano 105 rear dérailleur, Tiagra elsewhere. Mavic CXP 22 wheels on unbranded hubs.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    RS21s will be better than the Mavics.

As you ride more you should get used to being lower and more stretched out - don't just change the stem for the sake of it. Sounds as if you need to get a proper bike fit sorted. Alternatively if you ask some local riders (is there a club near you?) they should be able to advise on position and/or bike fit.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Check out Retrobike if you want a 531, some amazing stuff pops up over there.
  • niallmo
    Thanks guys. I had a look at some common measurments last night and looked at the Geometries. The Carrera is a more upright and relaxed frame, the Boarman obviously more racey with a lower front end so I'll stick with it. Stem is only 100mm on the Boardman too so it's clearly psychological rather than physical and I need to get used to it.

I will indeed swap the wheels now. Well, tonight. It's good practice for puncture repair too if I swap the tyres over.
  • It's good you're really getting into it!

The saddle looks really low though compared to the top tube- normally a fair bit more is showing on most modern bikes. Is your saddle too low (you should have a straight or very close to straight leg when the pedal is down and the arch of your foot on the pedal, so when the ball of your foot is on the pedal there is a slight bend).
    If that is right then I imagine you're stretched out an awful lot!

Good luck- having a decent position on the bike makes things a lot easier.
  • niallmo
    I think it's not so much my height as my inside leg measurement. It's a 53cm frame which is right according to Boardman. The stem is also flipped so it's level. The saddle is roughly similar to the Carrera height wise and that feels good. I think I've got a reasonable fit, probably could be better but I'm out of funds bike-wise. I need to get the Boardman serviced before anything else.

I have swapped the wheels and tyres over tonight so have the Shinano RS21's on the Boardman with Vittoria Open Corsa Evo KX tyres. The Carrera has the Mavic CXP22's with Vittoria Rubino Pro. I'll get some time out on it tomorrow night and have a nice Decathlon order of clothing coming tomorrow including some decent bib shorts so eager to get back out.

I really am loving it, Strava is very useful to add a bit of interest with segments and general tracking but overall it's being out on the road that feels best.
  • niallmo
    Had a few tweaks on my ride tonight. Feeling good. Saddle went up a few mm and is set pretty much level. I think I prefer the Charge Spoon I bought for my Carrera so will have to see how it goes on that now it also has the Mavics.

I think I did perhaps like the feel of the Mavics more on the Boardman, the Shimanos feel a little harsh...do wheels "run in" ? Again, I'll have to see how they do on the Carrera.

I've joined British Cycling too, free set of USB lights!