Majorca base for holiday

deanflyer
deanflyer Posts: 52
edited July 2015 in Road general
Looking to go to Palma for a week in September. My wife wants to be to the West of the island. Any pros/cons to this, and any recommended bike hire shops.

Not a dedicated cycling holiday, but somewhere I can go off for a daily 3/4 hour ride.

Thanks

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    Looking to go to Palma for a week in September. My wife wants to be to the West of the island. Any pros/cons to this, and any recommended bike hire shops.

Not a dedicated cycling holiday, but somewhere I can go off for a daily 3/4 hour ride.

Thanks
    Magaluf is in the west of the island. I'd put that in the "cons" column.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    The stock answer is Port Pollensa.

It is not on the west coast but not a lot is.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    edited July 2015
    Palma is a nice place to stay. But it is a city and all that entails. But there are bike paths and ways out of the city. One person on this forum commutes through Palma.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    Soller/Port de Soller has got some "west" in it.

Pros - beautiful place; in the mountains (or by the coast looking up at the mountains); nowhere near any golf courses; no night clubs; no teenagers; no-one with a hangover wearing coloured plastic bands on wrist; short drive from Palma airport; lots of hiking options neaby; nice sheltered harbour/beach.

Cons - not THAT much for the missus to do when you are cycling, you selfish ba$tard; all roads go up (which could be in either column, depending on your viewpoint); not cheap; you won't want to come home.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Palma is a great choice if you're bringing the other half along. My missus and the 2 girls love the shops, restaurants, etc. They were bored to tears in Pollensa.

Magaluf is 20km away so no need to worry about that. The clientele there are generally incapable of finding their way into Palma...(joke!)

There are some great little beaches hidden away between Palma and Andratx.

And there is some fantastic riding in the area.

Funnily enough we have some space left in early October......!
  • I have stayed in the West when I go, I stayed near palma nova and hired a good road bike from a german sport hotel. I have also stayed in the east before and in my opinion the west is better. More mountains.
    I would go west again
  • pblakeney
    For clarity - The mountain range (and Coast) runs diagonally from the west to the north.
    There may be some crossing of perceptions.
    If you like hills then you are looking to ride in the area between Valdemossa and Pollensa.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bernithebiker
    For clarity - The mountain range (and Coast) runs diagonally from the west to the north.
    There may be some crossing of perceptions.
    If you like hills then you are looking to ride in the area between Valdemossa and Pollensa.

There are plenty of hills in the SW around Calvia, well below Valdemossa, including the very hilly ride from Andratx to Valdemossa.

• There are plenty of hills in the SW around Calvia, well below Valdemossa, including the very hilly ride from Andratx to Valdemossa.

Valdemossa to Andratx is a great ride, stunning views. The east is so boring in comparison.
    best climb is es capdella to galilea
  • bernithebiker

There are plenty of hills in the SW around Calvia, well below Valdemossa, including the very hilly ride from Andratx to Valdemossa.

Valdemossa to Andratx is a great ride, stunning views. The east is so boring in comparison.

Absolutely! The only thing in the East really worth a visit is Randa.

It's such a shame that so few UK cyclists get to ride Valdemossa to Andratx as it's out of reach of Pollensa (unless you're very hardcore!) However, I believe Tramuntana Cycling are jointly launching a bus service from Pollensa to Andratx to enable you to cycle back.
  • pblakeney

Absolutely! The only thing in the East really worth a visit is Randa.

It's such a shame that so few UK cyclists get to ride Valdemossa to Andratx as it's out of reach of Pollensa (unless you're very hardcore!) However, I believe Tramuntana Cycling are jointly launching a bus service from Pollensa to Andratx to enable you to cycle back.
    Phht.
    We have done lighthouse to lighthouse and return.
    Going via Valdemossa would be hardcore, that is true.
    The middle is sooooo boring (save San Salvador), and I haven't spent any time in the east, apart from Randa.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Have to agree about the middle as I've cycled from Cala d'Or to PdP via Petra and it's ok but definitely not the best riding on the island.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    [

... I haven't spent any time in the east, apart from Randa.

Randa? East? It is central, by my reckoning.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • pblakeney
    [

... I haven't spent any time in the east, apart from Randa.

Randa? East? It is central, by my reckoning.
    Me too but I was playing along.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    My mate has an apartment in Paguera, Calvia which we use as a base, good German owned cycle hire shops there.

Port Andrax just down the road is very nice too. bit posher, more Yatchs?. Both great bases for getting up into the mountains. The routes are more varied too from there than from Pollensa, despite Pollensa being a Mecca for UK cyclists.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • deanflyer
    deanflyer Posts: 52
    Thanks all for the info.

I fly into Palma regularly so familiar with its geography, but never stayed there. Just a bit concerned about being to the West of Palma i.e. getting up to the mountains. Sounds good though. Wife will be happy as she stayed to the West of Palma with a friend last year and loved it.

Don't mind mountains, although I tend to go up them quite slowly. My usual ride has between 2,500-5,000ft of climbing.

Looking forward to it.
  • bernithebiker
    Thanks all for the info.

I fly into Palma regularly so familiar with its geography, but never stayed there. Just a bit concerned about being to the West of Palma i.e. getting up to the mountains. Sounds good though. Wife will be happy as she stayed to the West of Palma with a friend last year and loved it.

Don't mind mountains, although I tend to go up them quite slowly. My usual ride has between 2,500-5,000ft of climbing.

Looking forward to it.

Not sure exactly where you will be to the West of Palma, but you're almost certainly well placed to get into the mountains.

Head up to Calvia, and you have climbs to the East, North and West, the latter two bringing you quickly into the Tramuntana range.

And be sure to try the Military climb just to the NW of Palma, it has a superb new tarmac surface, yet no traffic whatsoever.