Comfortable Bike Seat

swebs8
swebs8 Posts: 2
edited October 2015 in Road beginners
Hello,

I am new to cycling, but just recently purchased a hybrid bike to ride with my wife on bike trails, streets, and commuting. The seat I have on my Trek bike is not very comfortable at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a comfortable bike seat? Obviously something that is not too hard, and comfortable enough to sit on if I do go on longer rides.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Not an easy answer as saddles are a very personal thing. Best thing to do is go to a bike shop and get your sit bones measured and then they will advise you the right width of saddle for you.

When choosing a saddle bear in mind that soft and squidgy feeling saddles is not best, especially if you are planning to be in the saddle for a while.

I currently have 3 bikes - after trying a few different saddles recently, I now have a Specialized Avatar saddle on my hybrid, and have Charge Scoops on my road bikes. I've also just bought a decent pair of bib shorts in a bid to hopefully be more comfortable in the saddle.

I'm also thinking of trying a Brooks leather saddle on my Audax steel bike - a bit more expensive and heavier, but the majority of reviews report that they are the most comfortable saddles.
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    Also bear in mind a saddle that is perfect for you on one bike may not be on another.

For example, some saddles are designed for a more racing body angle, and some more for upright riding positions.

I have 3 different bikes and 3 different saddles!
  • I also dislike bontrager saddles with a passion. They are horrible (at least for me).
    As others already said, saddles are a very personal thing, but there are some models that are usually praised as very comfortable like the Brooks B17 (I have one of these, and it is brilliant) and the Fabric Scoop.
    And although this is a very personal choice, there are some important things to keep in mind:
    - Saddles are one of those less-is-more things. Huge padding isn't that good, and some really thin saddles are really good
    - Try before you buy. Some bike shops will allow you to try the saddles before buying by giving you a test model. I know specialized does this (their saddles are great, btw), and I think Fizik also do this.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    First, be aware that anyone will get a sore backside when they fisrt start riding - I did, with what became a super-comfortable Brooks B17. But the firt ride - agony, and then next day too.

Also don't be fooled into thinking soft-comfortable. It doesn't.

And shape has a huge amount to do with it. I've finally settled on a Spesh Romin 155 - they just work for me. Up to that point I'd used and discarded (sometimes after a single ride) several other makes & types of saddle.

So, no-one can tell you what's going to be comfortable for you. and you have to do several rides on consecutive days to get your backside used to cycling. Only then can you start to see if the saddle is truly uncomfortable for you.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Hello,

I am new to cycling, but just recently purchased a hybrid bike to ride with my wife on bike trails, streets, and commuting. The seat I have on my Trek bike is not very comfortable at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a comfortable bike seat? Obviously something that is not too hard, and comfortable enough to sit on if I do go on longer rides.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Do you own a pair of shorts that have an insert or pad? If not, these will greatly increase your comfort ont he bike. But as has been said, you will also just need to get used to riding on a saddle. Just like your leg muscles!
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I have a fabric scoop with blue edging spare i would sell pm if your interested.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Havent read all (any) of the replies (sorry), but two thoughts come to mind;

1) there's no such thing as an inherently comfortable road bike saddle. You just get used to it. I can ride for hours on a very racy saddle, and I absolutely don't feel a thing, but when I first started cycling a sore bottom was a very common ailment

2) always always always wear padded bib shorts. Even cheap ones are pretty decent these days, so no need to spend big bucks. Just spend a few hours in the saddle and after half a dozen rides, the pain will fade completely (unless you have a grossly unsuitable saddle / position / weight).

on reflection, I will add a third;

3) the heavier you are, the more road saddles hurt. Lose weight (if you are carrying an excess of lard)
  • I'm also a newbie and suffering from sit bone ache after my first road bike ride (Bergamont Prime 4.0).
    Do you own a pair of shorts that have an insert or pad? If not, these will greatly increase your comfort ont he bike. But as has been said, you will also just need to get used to riding on a saddle. Just like your leg muscles!
    So would one need both padded bottoms and getting used to a stiff road bike seat? I have no padded pants/shorts yet, and would like to know if anybody has gotten used to their stiff saddle without using these.
  • go to a bike shop and get your sit bones measured, make sure the saddle you have now is the right size

I'm having some health issues right now......see my posts......try searching for RIDO saddles on google, these may help you out
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    First and foremost padded shorts

Build your distance - in all probability that will sort it.

I found comfort in a brooks b17 imperial - when a host of other saddles failed. But I do have hip arthritis and hamstring problems
  • While I agree with whats being said, one thing strikes me as a bit odd can someone explain. What's the difference between hard saddle and a nice pad, and a soft saddle and no pad?
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I don't really know, but I find it works better having a firm saddle with more padding in the shorts, so it just works that way for me.
  • At the risk of repeating what others have already suggested, I would strongly advocate getting a decent pair of padded shorts and trying a number of saddles. Comfort is very personal, and depends on so many factors such as your own body shape, weight, riding style and the set-up of your bike. For what it's worth, I have researched saddles extensively for myself and my son. I am a medic and so well aware of the anatomical consequences of cycling = particularly in terms of neuro-vascular compression in the perineum. My personal favourite saddles are Selle SMP. These are all designed with a wide central cut-out and a dropped-nose. There are a number of different models made of carbon fibre, leather or composite. My personal favourite is the Extra model, which is one of the less expensive versions. I really would recommend trying these, and going to your local bike shop for a proper fitting
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    While I agree with whats being said, one thing strikes me as a bit odd can someone explain. What's the difference between hard saddle and a nice pad, and a soft saddle and no pad?

The idea is that you want your shorts to slide around on the saddle, not your arse to slide around in your clothing. The latter leads to chafing and saddle sores. Therefore you don't want a saddle that might grip your shorts too much; hence a comparitively firm saddle is usually to be found on the bikes of riders that do lots of miles.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}