Lightweight or Comfy

jratcliffe002
jratcliffe002 Posts: 3
edited July 2015 in Road general
So i have a dilema...
I am off to the Alps, Bourg D'Oisan for a week cycling and I have a choice between a "comfy" bike with Ultegra and Disc brakes or a 2lb "lighter" 105 built bike?

which do i take?

i am not in peak fitness, having been away on a biz trip recently, so i am erring on comfy rather than lightweight?

Comments

• sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    Ultegra all day - the weight difference i don't think will make that much a difference. However a more comfy bike will allow you go further without discomfort.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,023
    For long days in the saddle, go for comfort.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    What are the 2 bikes?
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    So i have a dilema...
    I am off to the Alps, Bourg D'Oisan for a week cycling and I have a choice between a "comfy" bike with Ultegra and Disc brakes or a 2lb "lighter" 105 built bike?

which do i take?

i am not in peak fitness, having been away on a biz trip recently, so i am erring on comfy rather than lightweight?

You will know the answer to this question. Toss a coin and see if you're happy with the outcome.

You are the one who rides them and you know what both feel like - both uphill and down.

But really.... 105 is not exactly slumming it and is a lovely piece of equipment. I'd go with the lighter bicycle. You don't say what it is that makes one more comfortable than the other, but neither will be awful or you wouldn't have kept both.

I'd go lighter. Two-thirds of the way up a tough climb, that extra kilo will start weighing on your mind. Although it is a trifling extra weight, it will play on your mind as you get tired.

You will love either, but you already know which you'll take.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    How much 'comfier' is the comfy bike? And why?

We all know how much lighter it is, but only you know (which makes people telling you to take the heavy bike odd) if the light bike is so painful to ride that you would rather ride a heavier one.

Which bike did you plan to take before the business trip stopped you training?

Personally I would swap the groupsets around and then take the light bike :wink:
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Take which ever you prefer, its only a Kg difference or about 4-5 watts.
  • so i am going to take the comfy option, just because i bought this most recent, after i told my wife the other bike was no good!
    both are Ti framed bike and i enjoy both, the lighter one is a bit small, (and does not take full mud guards), hence the new bike, but still ridable.

Im going to take the Sabbath September AR disc, and see how it goes, ultegra build keeps the weight down a little, but the wheels alone are 500g heavier than the Mavics on the other bike.