What is the lifespan of a carbon frame ?

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Nothing new , all well-known stuff.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Nothing new , all well-known stuff.

Sniffy response - what about others.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    Well mine is warranted for life, so I suppose it`ll last for life then.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Warranted for life these days means about 5 years for the first owner only (read the small print)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573

The way I understand it is the life time being talked about there isn't your life time but the frame's life. And that amount of time is entirely up to the manufacturer. I remember vaguely a conversation about this in relation to Cannondale's lifetime warantee. For carbon frames it's soemthing rediculously short like 3 years. So Cannondale's frames are covered by a life time warantee, and the designated by Cannondale lifetime of a carbon frame is 3 years (or something like 3 years, I can't remember for sure). Lifetime warrantees are a complete con it would appear.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

The way I understand it is the life time being talked about there isn't your life time but the frame's life. And that amount of time is entirely up to the manufacturer. I remember vaguely a conversation about this in relation to Cannondale's lifetime warantee. For carbon frames it's soemthing rediculously short like 3 years. So Cannondale's frames are covered by a life time warantee, and the designated by Cannondale lifetime of a carbon frame is 3 years (or something like 3 years, I can't remember for sure). Lifetime warrantees are a complete con it would appear.

Are we talking about lifespan or warranty period? Some people drive 100 year old cars, but the cars never had a 100 year warranty.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Specialized is a lifetime warranty on the frame only
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Good article. It would seem that beyond crashing it or bouncing it around in the car for ages a carbon frame will last forever.

And in the article they were taking about a rider lifetime; if the frame is looked after.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Good article. It would seem that beyond crashing it or bouncing it around in the car for ages a carbon frame will last forever.

And in the article they were taking about a rider lifetime; if the frame is looked after.
    Given that it was based on interviews from people who make and sell carbon fibre frames, you might want to read it a little more critically.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652

Given that it was based on interviews from people who make and sell carbon fibre frames, you might want to read it a little more critically.

Nothing that was mentioned in the articles is incorrect and the greater fatigue-resistant properties of carbon fibre composites are generally well known. Also, the people quoted in the article work for bike companies which also sell lots of metal-framed bikes and they also state the downsides of carbon composites, such as poor resistance to surface impacts.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    My Basso is 7 years old and still rides like new. It's been crashed on and ridden in all extremes of weather. My Merida has a lifetime frame replacement and I would think most of us with expensive bikes have them insured against accidental damage.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

Nothing that was mentioned in the articles is incorrect and the greater fatigue-resistant properties of carbon fibre composites are generally well known. Also, the people quoted in the article work for bike companies which also sell lots of metal-framed bikes and they also state the downsides of carbon composites, such as poor resistance to surface impacts.
    It was the blanket conclusion I was quibbling with.
  • bikes`n`guns
    Warranted for life these days means about 5 years for the first owner only (read the small print)

Nope, sorry wrong.

Trek warrants the frame for the lifetime of the first owner.
  • bikes`n`guns

See above