Winter Essentials

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
I know this is a little bit early seeing as we've still got a fair bit of summer remaining but I've got a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket and instead of summer bits I thought it'd be better used to tool up for winter.

I ride in all conditions apart from when there is Ice on the road and I don't tend to run too cold.

I really need:
Front and rear lights
Waterproof jacket
Warm Jersey

Had been thinking about a SS Gabba 2 to cover both the waterproof and warmth need, but after reading up it doesn't sound like it does either too well.

Also been looking at the See Sense light bundle, but they sound a bit fiddly.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I know this is a little bit early seeing as we've still got a fair bit of summer remaining but I've got a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket and instead of summer bits I thought it'd be better used to tool up for winter.

I ride in all conditions apart from when there is Ice on the road and I don't tend to run too cold.

I really need:
    Front and rear lights
    Waterproof jacket
    Warm Jersey

Had been thinking about a SS Gabba 2 to cover both the waterproof and warmth need, but after reading up it doesn't sound like it does either too well.

Also been looking at the See Sense light bundle, but they sound a bit fiddly.

Given the state of the weather at the moment you need all of those now!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'm a big fan of windproof jackets, skip the waterproof. Getting good miles from both the Rapha Pro Team and Mavic Echappee.

Lights; to be seen or to see and any idea on budget?
  • dinyull
    Ah, yes sorry.

Lights to be seen, something in the range of the See.Sense so £80-100 max for a pair.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    +1 for windproof jackets, far more comfortable and practical. I've got a Castelli Alpha Wind jersey which does the job in all but the coldest of weathers.

Used a Moon XP500 set of lights last Winter, did the job perfectly. Only downside was a fairly low battery life on the brightest setting, but I never actually drained the battery flat. Very bright, good coverage and easy to change brightness when going from built up areas to countryside.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    edited July 2015
    I'm a big fan of windproof jackets, skip the waterproof. Getting good miles from both the Rapha Pro Team and Mavic Echappee.

Lights; to be seen or to see and any idea on budget?

Another vote for windproof and one of the best that I have and also ridiculous value for money, albeit with a less flattering cut, is the Altura Transformer windproof. Long sleeved jersey underneath (LBS branded Endura) and Under Armour Cold Gear base layer and that saw me through everything this winter held. (DHB Roubaix 3/4 bibs)

Front lights - I run either an Exposure Toro (s/h from these forums) or a prototype acquired from a UK manufacturer, both of which are excellent. I also run a Lezyne Macro Drive on my helmet as a "spotlight" - this came free with my MBUK subscription.

Back lights - the Macro Drive at high level and I still haven't found anything better than the Moon Comet.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    Mudguards!!

Essential if you ride in a group, but even on your own they make such a huge difference. Cycling the 2 miles to work in the rain I can ride in normal trousers and shoes with a waterproof jacket and arrive almost totally dry because of the lack of road spray.

The other thing I'd say is either overshoes, or winter cycling boots to keep your feet warm and dry. Nothing worse than soaking freezing feet!
  • dinyull
    Sorry, should have also said I have overshoes, winter gloves, mudguards and most other kit. Just after the bits listed above.
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    Sorry, should have also said I have overshoes, winter gloves, mudguards and most over kit. Just after the bits listed above.

Haha fair enough, ignore my post then! May be of use to someone else though I suppose(\hope) :D
  • iPete
    Ah, yes sorry.

Lights to be seen, something in the range of the See.Sense so £80-100 max for a pair.

Exposure Trace set, currently £72 @ SigmaSport. Cracking little things, plenty of battery, USB charging and very visible.
    If feeling flush go for a Trace front and Exposure Blaze on the back. You'll also want to budget for cheap backups.

Also recommend Respro Hi Viz A4 sheets, preferably in the same colour as your frame/helmet so they blend in.
  • dinyull
    Getting good miles from both the Rapha Pro Team and Mavic Echappee.

What's the sizing like on the Mavic? I've read that you need to size up, I'm 5'11 and 70kg - should I be going for a Large?
  • iPete
    Getting good miles from both the Rapha Pro Team and Mavic Echappee.

What's the sizing like on the Mavic? I've read that you need to size up, I'm 5'11 and 70kg - should I be going for a Large?

I've got the Echappee and Equipe, both medium, the Echappee is a much better fit. 6ft and 68kg.
  • dinyull
    Damn, found a little deal on a Large but looks like I need a M.