Power meter advice

dirtymonkey1985
dirtymonkey1985 Posts: 529
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm seriously looking into getting a power meter and i've narrowed it down to a stages or a powertap G3 and i'm having trouble deciding which would suit my needs better. If i get the stages it will be going on my second bike which is what i use for winter/training rides and if i get on well with working with power i'll get a second power unit for my summer bike. If however i get a powertap i'll build it onto an H plus son archetype and i can swap between the bikes, but i'm unsure how the internals of the G3 will stand up to the glorious winter weather that we get. Saying that is the Stages up to coping with all the rubbish our winter will throw at it?

Any advice from people would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Stages do have a reputation of being not quite as waterproof as they would like us to believe. Of course depending on the type of cranks you use across your two bikes there's nothing to stop you moving Stages between them either. Bit more tricky than changing a back wheel, but not much more!
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I'm seriously looking into getting a power meter and i've narrowed it down to a stages or a powertap G3 and i'm having trouble deciding which would suit my needs better. If i get the stages it will be going on my second bike which is what i use for winter/training rides and if i get on well with working with power i'll get a second power unit for my summer bike. If however i get a powertap i'll build it onto an H plus son archetype and i can swap between the bikes, but i'm unsure how the internals of the G3 will stand up to the glorious winter weather that we get. Saying that is the Stages up to coping with all the rubbish our winter will throw at it?

Any advice from people would be greatly appreciated.

The Stages has had some bad press mainly due to the flimsy battery cover (improvement have been made). But since having it replaced I have had no problems at all, ridden in all weathers, hot, cold, rain etc. It takes me 5 minutes to swap mine between my road bike and TT bike so is perfect for me.
  • Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately i run a rotor 3D+ with Q rings on my summer bike and an Ultegra 6800 on my training bike so i won't be able to swap between the two. I may just sell the rotor and get an ultegra chainset if it comes to it, i just really dislike the Q rings for the new Shimano chainsets
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately i run a rotor 3D+ with Q rings on my summer bike and an Ultegra 6800 on my training bike so i won't be able to swap between the two. I may just sell the rotor and get an ultegra chainset if it comes to it, i just really dislike the Q rings for the new Shimano chainsets

I don't know what the Q rings thing is but it's the left crank that's important not the chainrings. Apologies if that's a bit too obvious ;)