Short frame

Cryohazard
Cryohazard Posts: 4
edited July 2015 in MTB general
Few days ago I bought a new bike. But after a first ride I found that the frame ist short. Problem is that I can't change the bike. So what can I do with that? Put there a longer stem? I think on this bike is 90 mm stem. Maybe 120 mm would be OK. Here is also my position on the bike....
It's Haibike Impact RC 29. I am 178 cm tall (5'10'')

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Amount of seatpost suggests the frame is too small for you, looks like a 16".

Is the seatpost inline or setback? If it's an inline, get a setback seatpost and that will add 20mm to the length (which is about one size), you can slide the saddle back on the rails to gain a few mm.

A longer stem will have an effect, but will change the steering characteristics as well.

Raising the bars (the stem looks like it's flipped) will make the frame feel bigger.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just make sure the seat post is in up to the min insertion line. That looks pretty marginal.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie: The seatpost is setback.

cooldad: seatpost is OK. It isn't below the insertion line.

Here is the geometry of the bike. My size is 44, so I think it's like 17,5...
  • The Rookie
    I'd try flipping the stem to raise the bars (it looks like its running inverted as standard), it will make the bike feel longer (and is free)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'd try flipping the stem to raise the bars (it looks like its running inverted as standard), it will make the bike feel longer (and is free)

I inverted stem when I came home with the bike:
  • The Rookie
    So try putting it back!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That just looks too small. A longer stem will have a negative effect on the handling. Wider bars will help a bit. A lay back seat post will help when in the saddle but not when out of the saddle on descents. It's going to put your weight too far back meaning a loss of front end grip.
    This is why I don't buy without a good test ride.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You can make a small bike a bit bigger, you can make a big bike a bit smaller, but this this bike already has the bit bigger bits on it.

You'll either have to live with it or sell it and buy a suitable size.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Even making a small bike a bit bigger compromises the handling. Long stems ruin the steering, lay back posts can make the front lift when climbing.
    All you can really do is tweek the right size bike to be perfect. If it's the wrong size (and I think this is) then you're screwed.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    So try putting it back!

I would try this as it will raise the front end quite a bit which will help. You can then decide how it impacts the handling. If you have a read on bike setup it will show you how to get the saddle in the right position and height. If that is beyond the minimum point you could try a longer seat post but be careful spending too much money trying to sort things as that could have been put towards a different bike or frame to solve the problem.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Sell it and buy something else, looks way too small.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5