What bicycle to get for commuting and leisure (in Aberdeen)?

crispijn13
crispijn13 Posts: 2
edited August 2015 in Commuting general
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and I hope someone can help me out.

I have recently moved to the UK and I like to cycle. I'm looking for a bicycle with a small budget.

I would maily use the bike for commuting between home and work. For this reason, I think I would like to have mud-guards on the front and rear (and possibly a cargo-rack), te be able to get to work without getting too dirty. The roads are generally good (asphalted), but sometimes, I'll have to take the side-walk and some of the roads are badly maintained (i.e. a pure road bike will probably damage quickly). Furhtermore, it will be slightly uphill and downhill and one way will take about 40mins (google-maps). This will on average be twice a week.
Every once in a while I would also like to us the bike to just tour into the country (yes, it's in Scotland) on a Sunday. This will likely be once every two months.
Based on this, I am thinking about getting a hybrid bike, a touring bike or a cyclocross bike.

Now I have three main questions:
- what type of bike would you advice (any others that I'm overlooking, advantages, disadvantages)?
- do you have examples in or around Aberdeen for GBP 150-200?
- what size of frame and wheels should I have, if I'm 1.82m tall (6.0')
A lot of questions, I know, but hopefully you can help me out!
Thanks in advance!

Crispijn

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For that budget you are going to be buying used, you need to be spending close to £300 to get a decent bike these days.

This isn't bad, but a bit heavy, about the cheapest reasonably specced bike you'll get.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/carrera-subway-1-mens-hybrid-bike-2015
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've been using a Giant LX (ladies) and it has been a good work horse doing much the same as you - some road, canal and bridle paths. I have a rackbag and handlebar bag, but the time came that I started to want something slightly lighter.

I have just been in to my LBS and saw a Specialized Ariel Sports Disc (women) bike 2015 (reduced because new stock is coming in). They are going to set it up for me with Marathon plus tyres and mudguards. I suspect it wont be much lighter than the Giant, but it definitely feels lighter (without the new tyres/mudguards) ... once it is ready I will have a test ride and go from there. The only way to know if it is going to be right for you will be to visit a few LBS and check out a few that you like.

The Specialized have sale offers on right now as the new models are coming in. If I had the room and money I would have a hybrid and a more sporty number for the longer rides that I am now doing.

Happy hunting :)
  • u33db
    u33db Posts: 68
    I commute in Aberdeen.

Agree that you really need to spend around 300 for a decent bike and you are unlikely to find anything second hand locally that would be worth getting - anything that people are selling on Gumtree/ebay is either rubbish or top of the line MTBs. I'm not aware of any shops that sell used bikes either.

I actually just switched from an MTB to road bike at the weekend and although this is day 1 with the road bike I'd suggest you get one of those. The standard of driving in Aberdeen is so aggressive that really a MTB is not fast enough to be safe, especially when weighed down with rack luggage etc.

Halfords were selling a "Carrera Zelos" road bike for 220 at the weekend which would have been be a good choice but I believe their sale ended yesterday and its now back up to 299. At that price you'd be better with the Carerra TDF though. The other bike shops in Aberdeen will be too expensive for you.

If you really must go hybrid then the Subway linked above is decent quality.