changing groupsets

dmolloy22
dmolloy22 Posts: 7
edited July 2015 in Workshop
So....

A few hours ago I asked a question about wheels and changing my brakes. I think in the hours that have passed Inhave talked myself in to replacing my tiagra groupset with 105's.

So my question really is as a total newbie to this, and with youtube and online help is it feasable for me to do this or will I really be needing my lbs to do for me??

Got an order for wheels and groupset ready to complete and just trying to work out if its a good idea or not!!

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Can you rewire a plug? If you're able to do this, then swapping over a groupset shouldn't pose any issues. You'll need a few additional tools on top of a decent set of allen keys, such as a cassette lockring tool, chain whip, Hollowtech 2 BB tool, chain breaker and some decent cable cutters.

Just take your time and be methodical and when it comes to your cables, measure twice, cut once. Alternatively, fit as much as you can and then get the LBS to sort the cables and chain out at the end and set up your indexing.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Simplest job on the world. First time round will take a couple of hours.

Undo each bit one at a time, replace with new bit. Offhand I don't think that anything is held on by more than one bolt.

Take your time, use the proper tools and its simples.

For things like lever height, as a quick cheat just draw around the current levers in Sharpie then put the new levers on within the same marks.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The main thing is that you'll need a collection of tools. Many of which, such as the crank tightening tool, lockring tool etc which you'll only likely use for that one job, but others like a torque wrench are worth the investment as you'll be using it again and again whenever you do work on your bike.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Simplest job on the world. First time round will take a couple of hours.

Undo each bit one at a time, replace with new bit. Offhand I don't think that anything is held on by more than one bolt.

Take your time, use the proper tools and its simples.

For things like lever height, as a quick cheat just draw around the current levers in Sharpie then put the new levers on within the same marks.

The above leaves aside the probable need to replace cable inners - you'll need to pull them out of the old shifters, and the cut end will unravel - and of course likely cut new outers as well for the shifters (or I may be out of date - does Tagra have under-tape cable routing?

Oh, and setting up the front mech on the new 105 is a bit of a pain.

Tools - well a dremel is good for cable outers, a proper cable cutter for the inners (does the outers too, but not as neat as a dremel - and when cutting outers always have a sacrificial bit of inner inside to help prevent crushing). Other than that a decent set of ball-end Allen keys (up to 10mm I think should do it) and a set of Torx keys (though maybe only T20 and T25 are actually used) will be needed. If you want to swap the BB over then you'll need the BB spanner as well.

If you've a carbon frame I'd recommend a torque wrench, otherwise no need.

Oh, and some copaslip grease for the bolt and BB threads.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    when cutting outers always have a sacrificial bit of inner inside to help prevent crushing).

That's what I like about this place... always something new to learn.... I'd never thought about doing that. Sounds like a good idea.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    when cutting outers always have a sacrificial bit of inner inside to help prevent crushing).

That's what I like about this place... always something new to learn.... I'd never thought about doing that. Sounds like a good idea.

And also try to remember when cutting outers not to have the actual inner wire in there. That could be annoying. I imagine...

The Dremel tip is a good one; very professional looking ends to my outer cables now. Wish I'd tried it sooner!