Strava + phone??

Mattcee
Mattcee Posts: 148
edited July 2015 in Road general
Sorry if this the wrong forum for this but not sure best place to post and is more for the phone / tech geeks.

I use Strava on my HTC One M8 which is a pretty big phone and I'm worried about being caught out in the wet and mud/falling off when on MTB and wrecking my phone.

If i bought a smaller, cheaper, older phone, would Strava work on that without swapping my sim card over and just using my home wi-fi to upload the Strava data or would I need to swap the sim over?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    For the most part, yes. Strava just needs a GPS signal in order to track your rides. The Internet connection is only needed at the end of the ride to sync it.
  • A second phone - with a different user profile - also appears to be the only way you can compare performance on the same segments when ridden on different bikes, until Strava pull their finger out. We've only been nagging them about it for three or four years...
    Job: Job, n,. A frustratingly long period of time separating two shorter than usual training rides
  • feisty
    feisty Posts: 161
    I'd just buy a cheap Garmin (200 or whatever). That will record your ride and you can look at Strava when you get home
  • bagz3
    bagz3 Posts: 253
    Just make sure the phone isn't too old. Older versions of firmware may not allow you to download the Strava app, and not all phones will allow update to newest firmware.

Other than that yes, you only need gps. I use to turn off data/wifi to save battery, and all worked fine.