Tyre and wheel sizes

newtothisish
newtothisish Posts: 20
edited August 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi there,

This is probably a really dumb question, but where better to ask it than beginners forum!

So I bought a second hand MTB a while ago and been loving it, no problems. But recently I've had a spate of burst inner tubes. I had always just bought the same tubes and didnt seem to have any problem but I have noticed my wheel states 26x1.5-1.95 and my tyre specifies 26x2.1

Does this mean that they're incompatible and I should be getting either thinner tyres or thicker wheels, or is there a bit of flex? Seems strange that I would have no problem with it for so long and now all of a sudden causing me such grief!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most MTB rims are fine up to 2.1 - even the narrow 17mm wide ones.
  • So would I be better off buying tubes that fit the tyre or the rim?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To fit the tyre, but you can be a bit undersized and it won't cause a problem.

If they really are bursting, you have a problem not related to size! (Having used 26x1.0-1.5 inside a 2.15 tyre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ah OK, possibly I'm doing something wrong then, just never had this problem before :-S

Tends to burst right by the valve
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Check around the valve hole for edges or roughness.
    You may also have them a bit soft so the valve moves and can get worn, especially if they are schrader.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeah they are Schrader, and sometimes I have them a bit soft for when I'm riding off road. Definitely a bit of an edge as the tape around the tyre is a bit off. Thanks for all the help, I'll see if I can put something around the hole to stop it wearing
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    It sounds like you might have a few knackered inner tubes lying around. Get a pair of scissor out and cut yourself a couple of polo shaped bits out from one of these, install these around the valve of your new inner tube before fitting it, the double thickness may help protect, but it could be a few sharp burrs around the valve hole, check also that the end of a spoke has not cut through the rim tape.
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you run them too soft the tyre can slip on the rim and drag the tube round then it will tear by the valve....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If you run them too soft the tyre can slip on the rim and drag the tube round then it will tear by the valve....

Especially as the tyre ages.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.