First Mountain Bike - Lots of Questions - KTM Aera Comp 27.5

chocolatetelevision
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

A bit of advice please. I'm looking to get myself a half decent mountain bike. Although it will be my first (not counting cheap bike shaped objects I had years ago), I am coming from a road bike background so not new to bikes per se. I also have a great relationship with my local bike shop so would prefer to buy from them if possible .

From a bike, I want the following:

1. 27.5 wheel (It'll be a culture shock coming from a road bike anyway and I think 29er will just feel too sluggish)
2. Light weight - again, being used to road bikes, every time I pick up a mountain bike to feel the weight it puts me off. If I'm to get a bike I want to ride then it'll need to be lightweight
3. Hard tail - I figure that, unless you spend big money, at any given price point the hardtail will be a higher spec bike that a full susser due to the cost of the rear suspension.

My budget is £1000 though I could stretch if it was worthwhile. That's where the KTM Aera Comp 27 comes in. It's a fair bit over budget but that gets me a much lighter bike (it's a carbon frame) and my LBS is a KTM dealer.

There seems to be scant information on KTM bikes in the forums and much of what is written is far from positive. So, why all the KTM hate? The comments I've seen don't seem to be founded in any personal experience, more a general dislike for the brand. Yet, from what I can see, they seem to offer more for your money than most other brands?

To a newbie, the specs of MTB's seem to be very confusing. Yes, the fork is the most important, but how do I know the hierarchy of them? Or the groupsets? They seem to be a bit of a mix and match compared to the clear levels you get on road bikes.

So, lots of questions. Overall, what do you think of the KTM Aera Comp 27.5?

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail/product/review-ktm-bikes-aera-comp-14-48547/

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    50% over budget would suggest that your budget is not really a budget.

Looks ok but depends what you want to ride. Racy XC bike, but may not be as much fun on the rougher steeper fun stuff.

I'd also want more than a Recon (and Deore) at the price. So nice racy frame, bit expensive for the bits hanging off it IMO.

No hate for KTM - I used to own a KTM motorcycle - but I don't know anyone who owns a KTM MTB, or don't think I've ever seen one in real life.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've seen a few KTM's, well made and nice looking, but that isn't enough to make up for the poor value in the components, look elsewhere!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've seen a few KTM's, well made and nice looking, but that isn't enough to make up for the poor value in the components, look elsewhere!
    Thanks for this. Please can I ask specifically which components represent poor value? And what alternative bikes would you suggest?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For that money the fork is basic. Is light, but doesn't get the better internals of the Reba. Heavy entry level Mavic rims too, and a groupset I have seen on £400. The value just aint there.

This is half the price and better specced. Fork much better.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rafal-740-mountain-bike-id_8314897.html
  • I guess it's a toss up. The B'twin is on offer so represents excellent value. At its usual price, most of the difference can be explained by the KTM having a carbon frame. I'm not set on carbon, but I am set on low weight, hence the appeal. I guess the question is whether to spend the money in the frame or the components?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I guess it's a toss up. The B'twin is on offer so represents excellent value. At its usual price, most of the difference can be explained by the KTM having a carbon frame. I'm not set on carbon, but I am set on low weight, hence the appeal. I guess the question is whether to spend the money in the frame or the components?

Don't get too obsessed with weight. Go take a look at what people here are riding in the Your Bikes section. There's not many featherweights there, so that will tell you something. Remember this is mountain biking not road biking. We all want 'em light, but it's only part of the equation.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Thanks. Is there a FAQ or a stickie or something somewhere with the levels of forks and groupsets. I'm finding it very difficult to compare one bike to another. It all seems a lot simpler in road bikes! :-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    All on the Shimano website.

The aluminium frame on the Rafal is sub 1.5kg, the frame on the KTM won't be lighter than 1100g, but you'll have to replace just about everything else on it to get to the Rafals overall weight.

As for weight, well yes, I am a weight weenie, have a look at the links in my sig!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • All on the Shimano website.

Thanks for that. How about forks? They're from several manufacturers.
    The aluminium frame on the Rafal is sub 1.5kg, the frame on the KTM won't be lighter than 1100g, but you'll have to replace just about everything else on it to get to the Rafals overall weight.

Not sure I understand this bit. The KTM is 10.9kg. The B'twin is 11.5kg. So the KTM is already lighter than the B'twin without replacing anything? Have I missed your point?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I know a couple people who have been sponsored by KTM and raced their bikes. One hated them and couldn't wait to end the season and buy his bike for the next season. The other found it rather un-inspiring, changed every single part on it and just accepted that it was free and he was poor.
    Personally I wouldn't have one, they are quite poor value and there are better bikes for the money. Their ful suspension bikes flex badly as well.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The KTM is 11.3kg, weighed as tested.
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    KTM are pretty common here in Austria (not surprisingly). This is pure brand snobbery I know but they seem to be ridden by the same people that buy a 300 euros North Face gore-tex shell - in case it starts to drizzle when they're walking the dog. There seems to a hefty mark up purely based on the brand loyalty they attract and as such, as others have said, they seem overpriced/under spec'd.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They don't have the brand appeal over here to get away with the high price.
    KTM cycles are nothing to do with KTM motorcycles .