1999 Orange Clockwork with RST 461 fork steerer size?

bungle73
bungle73 Posts: 758
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone know what the correct steerer size for this setup is? I wanted to replace the original stem with a shorter one, and my research led me to believe that MTBs have a 1 1/8" steerer size. I ordered a stem from eBay which was advertised as being 1 1/8" size, but it also said it was 25.4mm. Now I find out these two are not the same, so I have no idea if I have the correct size stem or not! I can't find any way of finding what size steerer I have. Nothing says! I Googled a page that was selling some 461s which said they are 1" but I have no idea if they came in different sizes or not!

For the record I have compared the gap in the old stem and the one I got off eBay and to my eye they look the same. The stem goes on the steerer a bit tighter than the original though, but it does seem to fit. I'm guessing....hoping....that if it was too small it wouldn't fit at all?

I thought I read somewhere that the bike did have a 25.4 steerer, but I'm not sure.

Comments

• jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    It's either a 1 1/8" or a 1" as far as I know. The 1" tended to look like the link below, with the bit that does inside the steerer tube attached to the stem.

https://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/for-sale/trek-stem-110.JPG

That was (is) called a quill stem, where as the 1 1/8" is separate to the bit that goes in the steerer tube (like modern mountain bike stems) and used to be called a, ahead stem. Blimey, blast from the past here.

Not sure what the 25.4 is.

Hope that helps in some way??!!
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 25.4 probably refers to the bar clamp size, so it could well be 1 1/8" at the steerer and 25.4mm at the bar - in fact it almost certainly is (both the stem on the bike and the stem you've bought).

I'd expect a decent 1999 MTB to be 1 1/8" steerer, my two 1997 are.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    Of course! It's the handlebar clamp size! I'm an idiot! I forgot, I had to search for a 25.4 handlebar clamp size to fit my current bars as the contemporary ones are all bigger, and there wasn't much choice in the old size. I feel like a fool. :oops:

Yes, it is an Aheadset by the way. I know quills as I have one on my £99 special I bought before I bought a "proper" bike.

Thanks guys.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ahem, Both my 1997 steel bikes are Quill stem..... 1 1/8" steerer though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.