Sodding wind!

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited July 2015 in Road general
I knew I wasn't moaning about nothing! only 8 'calm' days all year apparently!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/11766178/Will-2015-be-Britains-windiest-year-in-two-decades.html
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I knew I wasn't moaning about nothing! only 8 'calm' days all year apparently!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/11766178/Will-2015-be-Britains-windiest-year-in-two-decades.html
    With you 100%, the turbo has had a real thrashing this so called spring/summer. :shock:
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    What is this "summer" you speak of?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Andyb10
    Andyb10 Posts: 126
    Went out yesterday and had to wear gilet and arm warmers. Gone back to winter bike!!
  • chris_bass

I believe it is something that happened a couple of times in the 50s. Men would wear a kind of shorter trouser, often slightly above the knee. The game of Cricket was briefly played and people often spent time outdoors without the need for a coat or umbrella. The people of Britain migrated to the very edges of the country for extended periods of time, a bit like operation stack but they actually wanted to stop near the coast. hankies were knotted and sun burn was fashionable.

I saw a documentary on it once.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I went to the beach here in Florida yesterday and watched 10-15ft waves crashing on the shore, the wind speed was only about the 20s which is pretty much a typical morning commute back at home.

Of course the difference being the air temp was 30C and I'm not riding a bike 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I went out at 0800 hrs this morning wearing a short sleeved (summer) jersey over a sleeveless base layer and two miles from home decided that I probably wasn't going to warm up any time soon and so turned around went back home and put a long sleeve jersey on over the top. I started again and the long sleeve came off after about an hour but I can't say that I ever overheated. I think it must be my age but I seem to be turning into a right Walter the Softy as the years advance - for anybody named Walter who has taken offence, apologies it's not aimed at you, it's a Dennis the Menace reference!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • chris_bass
    I went to the beach here in Florida yesterday and watched 10-15ft waves crashing on the shore, the wind speed was only about the 20s which is pretty much a typical morning commute back at home.

Of course the difference being the air temp was 30C and I'm not riding a bike 8)

Don't take this personally but..... I don't like you!!
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    I'm glad its not just me - I've been complaining for weeks now. We've had some lovely warm weather but the headwinds have been knackering.

It'll be winter again soon grrrrrrr :roll:
  • bronco016
    bronco016 Posts: 39
    Yep I agree it's been a windy "summer". I say Summer, but as each year goes by it seems more and more like we have 12 months of Autumn these days!!
    http://www.mallorcacyclinghotels.co.uk
    Cycling friendly accommodation in Mallorca
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    yep I think summer has been and gone. Just hope it's ok this weekend for ride 100 but going to be a bit cooler starting off at 06:00 !

Warm mornings seem to already be behind us
  • Welcome to my world in the fens! No hills, but more than compensated for with constant winds even on so called calm days!
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I agree with most of the comments, really depressing. Why is it you never seem to get any benefit in wind, it seems to be against you all the time. :x
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    It is written you must learn to love the wind.......

Earlier this year I was on my chinstrap, totally goosed and riding home into a fierce headwind. Nothing much left in my legs when I looked down a saw my ground speed at the grand total of 8mph. I nearly go off as I concluded my brakes must have been rubbing. I didn't, they weren't, I got home and the next time out my legs felt much stronger.

5.45am this morning and the alarm goes off, accompanied by the sound of strong winds, for my pre breakfast ride and I was tempted to stay in my pit until my better half booted me out as the alarm had woken her as well. Post ride I had a satisfied glow and aching legs.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • I agree with most of the comments, really depressing. Why is it you never seem to get any benefit in wind, it seems to be against you all the time. :x

You're riding in the wrong direction then, mate - I've set loads of PBs on my way home from (and occasionally to) work this year! Knocked 50 sec off tonight with a 15mph westerly, though that's a crosswind for most of the ride. But yeah, I was thinking a month or so ago that it's about time the wind gave over - def wasn't like this last summer...
    Job: Job, n,. A frustratingly long period of time separating two shorter than usual training rides
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    It is written you must learn to love the wind.......

Earlier this year I was on my chinstrap, totally goosed and riding home into a fierce headwind. Nothing much left in my legs when I looked down a saw my ground speed at the grand total of 8mph. I nearly go off as I concluded my brakes must have been rubbing. I didn't, they weren't, I got home and the next time out my legs felt much stronger.

yes agreed, I have moaned about my constant headwind companion for much of this year,and Id prefer it wasnt there, but yeah Ive certainly noticed the difference its been making in leg strength
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Guys!!! Just ride ya bloody bikes will you ....

Recovering (slowly) from a broken Collarbone and would love to be able to get out ... This is week ten and I'm gutted at how many nice days I've missed :(
    I'm on holiday in Devon & Cornwall this week and had planned to bring the bike and give Dartmoor a whirl ... Oh well ...
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • itboffin

Don't take this personally but..... I don't like you!!

Join a very long list.

So what's the best treatment for sunburn?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    I'm glad its not just me - I've been complaining for weeks now. We've had some lovely warm weather but the headwinds have been knackering.

I know this afternoon after stuffing my face we went for a walk through the beach mangroves in +30C heat with 100% humidity and the wind! Well thank god for the wind it was brutal, so cooling.

Is that what you meant?
  • I'm glad its not just me - I've been complaining for weeks now. We've had some lovely warm weather but the headwinds have been knackering.

I know this afternoon after stuffing my face we went for a walk through the beach mangroves in +30C heat with 100% humidity and the wind! Well thank god for the wind it was brutal, so cooling.

Cool story
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653

I think it was a Wednesday this year.
  • itboffin
    One good thing about the wind, no biting insects I'm soooo over those :evil:
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I'm glad it isn't just me - I generally get out on the bike 4 or 5 times a week and I reckon I can count the number of windless rides without using all my fingers... :| That said, not much wind this morning, although to make up for it, it was really cold - 6 deg C when I set off from home.

Can't really call it summer... :?
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • chris_bass
    I'm glad it isn't just me - I generally get out on the bike 4 or 5 times a week and I reckon I can count the number of windless rides without using all my fingers... :|

We have had 8 'calm' days all year!!! 8!
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991

I bet you'd rather be riding your bike. :wink:
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • A nice gentle - and very rare - SE6 tailwind for this morning's commute. What's that? A new PB by 40 sec? Don't mind if I do!
    Job: Job, n,. A frustratingly long period of time separating two shorter than usual training rides