How many MTBs/ Hybrids on Ride London?

iron-clover
iron-clover Posts: 737
edited July 2015 in Road general
Hi all,
How many people do you reckon take part in Ride London on a MTB or a hybrid? After losing my crank arm bolt a little over a week ago and a wrong part order by the LBS it now looks like my faithful road bike will have to be left behind leaving me with my battleship of a hybrid.

I can almost certainly complete the route before the broom wagon sweeps me in (and probably beat the majority on the climbs too) but it would be nice if I wasn't literally the only one! I guess there are hardly any though, as even just 30 miles on flat bars really pushing against the wind is soul destroying, let alone 100!

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Don't be so precious.
    You should be fine.
    ay115553161cyclists-of-all.jpg
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    There'll be loads...an no doubt fixies, BMX's and pretty much anything you can think of!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    As above, it's not an event for purists... there will be all srots of people. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Penny Farthing
    left the forum March 2023
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    A crank arm bolt? ie the ones off a Hollwtech crank that locks onto the splines?

Surely a bodge bolt from a local engineering shop would suffice there?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Padeye
    Padeye Posts: 38
    That photo is from the Freecycle, not the 100 mile sportive.

BMXs, fixies and penny farthings are not permitted on the sportive.

I'm sure there will be plenty of hybrids and MTBs though!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    There were BMXs present last year and there will certainly be fixies this year (whether or not people actually fit a mechanical rear brake remains to be seen) and not to forget the army of Bromptons.
  • Foobies
    Foobies Posts: 134
    I was on a mountain bike last year. Managed sub 6 hours in the rain. Also saw at least 1 bmx multiple Boris bikes and sure there were fixes. You'll be fine. Last year I think the mtb was a blessing as I was loving the puddles and rivers flowing down hills. Gave me plenty of room on the road that the people on race machines were too scared to ride in.

Loved a comment I overheard at the post ride reception for MacMillan sponsored riders of "wow he did it on a mountainbike"

You'll be fine.
    2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4
    2016 Bianchi Ethanol
    2015 Bianchi via nirone 7

2018 Boardman ADV 8.9
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    But, how many fatbikes?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    But, how many fatbikes?

I don't think Stevo's entered this year :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn