25 to 23, noticeable?

moefoemil
moefoemil Posts: 254
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
This has probably been asked countless times before but,
I've always ridden 25mm tyres and I've been trying to purchase some gumwalled Veloflex Masters in 25mm but everywhere seems to have sold out, I can get hold of 23mm ones no problem, but what I want to know is, is there any noticeable difference in comfort, control etc. between the 25 and 23mm?
Any advice on this appreciated.
Cheers. Gareth
Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Marginal...
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Hi all,
    This has probably been asked countless times before but,
    I've always ridden 25mm tyres and I've been trying to purchase some gumwalled Veloflex Masters in 25mm but everywhere seems to have sold out, I can get hold of 23mm ones no problem, but what I want to know is, is there any noticeable difference in comfort, control etc. between the 25 and 23mm?
    Any advice on this appreciated.
    Cheers. Gareth
    If it was a straight comparison between a set of Veloflex Masters in 25mm vs 23mm then sure, you would probably be able to notice a slight difference in comfort, and if you were really pushing it perhaps 'control' although I doubt it.

As it is though, I'm guessing you aren't currently riding veloflex masters so the tyres will feel different anyway, regardless of size - for example, if you're riding Gatorskins right now in 25mm then the veloflex's will be more comfy and give you better control regardless, due to their more supple and grippy design.

I say go for it, and be happy in the knowledge that you're saving a small amount of weight at the rim....
  • moefoemil
    ^^^Thanks TimothyW^^^
    That's exactly what I was wanting to know, I'll give it one last search tonight for 25's but if it's a no go I'll pull the trigger on some 23's :D
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Wiggle have em
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    my 25c veloflex masters are more like 23c

my old 23c veloflex master were more like 22c

There is not much difference between the two is what im saying.

Just buy any :)
  • moefoemil
    ^^^Wiggle^^^ Must have just got them in stock today and added them to there site very recently as I checked at teatime and they were only showing red and blue in stock in 25's.
    So that's some 25's ordered :D:D:D
    Thanks for your help and advice!