Dura-Ace 9000 C35 vs Ksyrium SLR

bill_gates
bill_gates Posts: 469
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm considering replacement wheels and although I was originally interested in Mavic Ksyrium SLR, I'm wondering if considering the Shimano Durace 9000 C35 would be a worthwhile consideration as an option?

Definitely clinchers and would run 25mm GP4000S on them with Shimano drive-train.

Anyone got any opinions?

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."

Comments

• bill_gates
    Any thoughts all? I'm still undecided on this upgrade.

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    'Bill', like many wheelset threads, there are too many variables for anyone to give you anything approaching an informed opinion. All relevant questions for you to consider: how much do you weigh? what do you intend to use the wheels for - casual rides, racing, sportives? What terrain are you primarily going to be riding - mainly flat, hilly, mixed bag? If you can provide a bit more reference, you may receive some positive replies. Hope this helps. Peter
  • bill_gates
    Cheers 'Peter', you sound like you can assist?

A general all rounder wheel for a mix of midweek training and a few sportive per annum.

I am not over 100kg in terms of bodyweight and I am a bit of a brand snob. 8)

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Cheers 'Peter', you sound like you can assist?

A general all rounder wheel for a mix of midweek training and a few sportive per annum.

I am not over 100kg in terms of bodyweight and I am a bit of a brand snob. 8)

97kg?

(not over 100kg doesn't help)
  • bill_gates
    approx. 92Kg

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    You may be okay with either and I've long held a soft spot for Dura Ace C35's on the basis that the DA hubs are tip top quality and they look nice! I have far too many wheelsets given that I'm no great shakes on a bike, however over the last 6 months or so I find myself coming back almost 100% to a set I bought off fleabay - they were built by Strada and comprise H Plus Son Archetype rims with (I think) 32 sapim spokes front and rear and Chris King R45 hubs. I would be equally happy if they had come with DA hubs. They aren't the lightest but they roll extremely well and have given faultless service. During this period a friend who weighs roughly the same as you has had to return his ksyrium (I'm not sure if SL or SLR) twice due to spokes popping on him. The DA wheels look nicer but honestly, at this point in time I'd recommend you having a look at something like the Archetypes built by a top quality wheel builder. Hope this is of help.

Peter

PS Ask me in a few weeks time and I'll probably suggest something else!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    At your weight, and with your brand snobbery, of those two I'd choose the Dura-Ace.

Just a gut feeling I get from inhabiting these forums. I get the impression that Shimano put engineering before cosmetic appearance / marketing buzzwords. With Mavic I feel it's the reverse.

If you were wanting a wheel recommendation without the brand snobbery I'd say Archetypes on Ultegra hubs with maybe a few more spokes...
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    H Plus Son Archetype rims with (I think) 32 sapim spokes front and rear and Chris King R45 hubs. I would be equally happy if they had come with DA hubs. They aren't the lightest but they roll extremely well and have given faultless service.

100% that, you are a similar weight to me and for UK roads and training I would go with these all day long, plus they look great. Personally as a larger lad (as I am) I would go for a set of wheels that aren't going to break or go out of true on a regular basis, 32 spoke Hplus sones on DA or Ultegra hubs would be bomb proof!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!