Oakleys: Different lens tints for the road?

DKay
DKay Posts: 1,652
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to buy some new Oakley's, specifically the Radar Path EVs. However, I'm undecided on which lens tint to go for. I want to be able to use them as much as possible, so I'm thinking that Black Iridium and Fire Iridium will be too dark for the majority of the year. I'm really interested in the new Prism Road lens, so I'd love to hear any users feedback on it (and any other tint for that matter). I'm not particularly photosensitive, so I don't think I need the polarised versions.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have Black Iridium and Red Iridium and find the Red not too bad on duller days, they are not the EVs though.
    Do they do a transition lens for the EVs?
  • DKay
    Thanks for the reply. So, the Red Iridium isn't as dark as the Black Iridium? Oakley don't do photochromatic lenses for the EVs yet.
  • rudivoller22
    rudivoller22 Posts: 492
    I'm looking to buy some new Oakley's, specifically the Radar Path EVs. However, I'm undecided on which lens tint to go for. I want to be able to use them as much as possible, so I'm thinking that Black Iridium and Fire Iridium will be too dark for the majority of the year. I'm really interested in the new Prism Road lens, so I'd love to hear any users feedback on it (and any other tint for that matter). I'm not particularly photosensitive, so I don't think I need the polarised versions.

I have the prizm lens in my jawbreakers and they are pretty good even in lower light. I used them at the TdY sportive this year when it was hammering down and dark and they were fine. Great lens.
  • DKay

I have the prizm lens in my jawbreakers and they are pretty good even in lower light. I used them at the TdY sportive this year when it was hammering down and dark and they were fine. Great lens.

Cheers for the feedback. What was the performance like in sunnier conditions?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Thanks for the reply. So, the Red Iridium isn't as dark as the Black Iridium? Oakley don't do photochromatic lenses for the EVs yet.
    Red has 15% light transmission Black has 10%.
    Have a look at RX Sport they have a big range with lens details.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    If you are looking for an all round lens, get the Prizm road. It's great! You sort of forget you're wearing them. Whereas the black in particular can be a bit dark on occasions. Fire and + red are somewhere between.
  • rudivoller22
    rudivoller22 Posts: 492

Cheers for the feedback. What was the performance like in sunnier conditions?

I've had agreed pairs of oakleys with different lens and (in my opinion) the prizm are the best lens they have made. Going from shaded roads into bright sunlight it is great. I would definitely recommend them.
  • DKay
    Thanks for the advice guys. Prism Road it is then! I'm going to have to go custom, as I want carbon fibre frames.

Thanks again.