Wahoo Kickr - Worth it?

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
The recent weather has got me thinking about the winter and I am quite tempted by a smart turbo trainer. I like the idea of being able to ride a course and the resistance changing automatically.

reviews seem to say the wahoo kickr is the best but it is freakishly expensive.

Is it worth it? anyone got one?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Hi Chris,

Debating this one myself at the minute. Cant wait to give Zwift a try!

Wahoo have made things more interesting by announcing the Kickr Snap - basically the same features only it isn't direct mount - you keep the back wheel on like a standard turbo trainer - rrp seems to be £649, so slightly better than the kickr.

However, now that Tacx have opened up their smart trainers meaning you can use them on platforms like Trainer Road or Zwift , the bushido or vortex are very tempting options and much much cheaper (and the bushido doesn't even need power!).

DC Rainmaker has a very comprehensive rundown on his site of all the options, but also warns that Eurobike is coming soon, so best to wait just in case any other contenders come out.

I have a Bkool, which is a great trainer at an unbelievable price - but its locked into its own software platform, which is now a deal breaker for me (and you can't stand up as the trainer relies on your body weight for resistance).
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Wahoo Kickr is about £900 but does have the advantage of being 'wheel off', so you don't need to mess on with training tyres etc.

But the Kickr SNAP looks decent as a wheel on version at £650.

But; with the recent introduction of ANT+FE/C it means that some previously closed systems are now open to be used with the likes of Trainerroad and Zwift.

e.g.
    Tacx Bushido Smart ~ £450
    Tacx Vortex Smart ~ £300-£350.

As good as the Kickr no doubt is, I'm not sure it's worth £600 more than the Tacx Vortex?
  • chris_bass
    Maybe i'll hang on a bit then, if other cheaper options are offering similar it may bring the price of the kickr down a bit.

I like the idea of the direct mount trainers the Elite Real Muin is a bit cheaper but the reviews say the software really lets it down and the resistance can be a bit all over the palce.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    Yes - every penny!
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • chris_bass
    Yes - every penny!

This is what I was afraid of, now what can I sell?

Anyone need a kidney?one careful owner
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    I have the Wahoo Kickr, was a bit unsure about the wheel out design but it actually works really well. My previous home trainer was the Kurt Kinetic and both are good turbos and would be happy to use either. I also have an SRM so was able to compare power outputs. In the 200-250 watt output range on the Kickr it was measuring circa 15 watts higher than the SRM. Good for the ego, but I trust the SRM reading. From ride to ride the difference was pretty consistent so it is possible to replicate efforts across different sessions.
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    I did look at the Kickr, but having only an 8 speed Sora or 11 Speed Campag setups this would have required more expense just to get up and running.

The Snap certainly appealed but with Tacx recently opening up their software this now gives me all I need and with the Bushido Smart currently £200 less than the Snap it is hard to resist, so hard I've bought one.
  • markhewitt1978
    I did look at the Kickr, but having only an 8 speed Sora or 11 Speed Campag setups this would have required more expense just to get up and running.

The cost of an 8 speed cassette to go onto the Kickr? i.e. Not that much?
    The Snap certainly appealed but with Tacx recently opening up their software this now gives me all I need and with the Bushido Smart currently £200 less than the Snap it is hard to resist, so hard I've bought one.

:D. That's the one which is at the top of my list at the moment, would be good to hear what you think of it. I've read some reviews but they all seem to focus on the quality of the Tacx software, but now that it's open FE/C that's pretty irrelevant.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305

You also need a new freehub as the default one is for Shimano/Sram
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • markhewitt1978

You also need a new freehub as the default one is for Shimano/Sram

Sora is Shimano.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Buy one, get trainerroad improve
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • markhewitt1978

It's not a question of buy one or not, it's just which trainer to get?
  • chris_bass

Actually it kind of is a question of buy one or not, I already have a 'dumb' trainer but like the idea of direct drive and the smart elements of the kickr.

I need Wiggle to have a discount weekend soon! It is currently £835.99, if they knock a further 10% off I'll be very tempted!
  • markhewitt1978

Actually it kind of is a question of buy one or not, I already have a 'dumb' trainer but like the idea of direct drive and the smart elements of the kickr.

I need Wiggle to have a discount weekend soon! It is currently £835.99, if they knock a further 10% off I'll be very tempted!

If you already have a dumb trainer, consider the possibility of getting a power meter instead. Sure it won't adjust resistance for you, but you'll get most of the other benefits and you'll be able to use the PM on the road too.
  • chris_bass
    that's an interesting option!
  • chris_bass
    Wiggle have a few refurbs in at £800, still a lot but a lot less than most places!

Might have to just bite the bullet and do it!
  • bsharp77
    New option from Tacx this morning:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/tacx-neo-smart-turbo-trainer-could-redefine-genre-44979/

Looks like it might be a bit pricey though....

Hopefully there will be some more options coming out shortly with Eurobike just a few weeks away
  • markhewitt1978
    edited August 2015
    New option from Tacx this morning:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/tacx-neo-smart-turbo-trainer-could-redefine-genre-44979/

Looks like it might be a bit pricey though....

Hopefully there will be some more options coming out shortly with Eurobike just a few weeks away

Looks very good! Interested in their 'truly silent' claims as the Kickr does seem to be quite noisy. Just the sheer fact of a lack of noise would be a massive selling point for me, as most of my workouts would be when the wife / baby is asleep.

Having to take the back wheel off is a faff on so perhaps best suited to a permanent install on a spare bike, which is another cost issue if you don't have a spare bike!

It looks like an impressive unit although pricey US$1,500 / €1,400 so £1,000 at least.
  • bsharp77
    The powerful brake can generate loads up to 2,500 watts to satisfy the most powerful sprinter but more impressively, it’ll also produce up to 450 watts of resistance when traveling at just 6km/h (3.7mph) to better simulate climbs of up to 25-percent grade.

This really got my attention - would be able to really suffer and simulate some horrible climbs! :shock:

Hopefully the real world price will be closer to the Kickr - if so, I will a hard choice at the start of September to choose one.
  • chris_bass
    that does look good actually. Hopefully it is a little while 'till I'll really need to go for one (will wait until Winter I think)

Just spotted this:

"plus calculate your cadence based on your pedaling action."

how else would it work it out?
  • that does look good actually. Hopefully it is a little while 'till I'll really need to go for one (will wait until Winter I think)

Just spotted this:

It means that it doesn't need any sort of external candence sensor near your crank. It works it out by sensing pulses coming through the chain to the cassette - powertap hubs do the same. Quite clever really.
  • chris_bass
    yeah, it really is clever!

Hopefully it will be cheaper than they are suggesting, should get at least 12% off if Wiggle get their hands on it anyway!
  • It's on pre-order at some sites at £1,200, ouch!
  • chris_bass
    blimey!! suddenly the kickr seems like a steal!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    That Tacx looks amazing though - I'd pay €1400 for that.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    that does look good actually. Hopefully it is a little while 'till I'll really need to go for one (will wait until Winter I think)

Just spotted this:

It means that it doesn't need any sort of external candence sensor near your crank. It works it out by sensing pulses coming through the chain to the cassette - powertap hubs do the same. Quite clever really.

^this is how it works.
    I have a powertap and the cadence from that goes a bit wafty if you get a really smooth pedal style, it can't work out the pulses. I still use the Garmin sensor to give a stable cadence, and therefore stable power reading.

I'm liking the look of the Neo though, I've recently started using Zwift and if found my turbo sessions are more enjoyable with it and find it easier to push harder, so have been looking to get a trainer that would auto adjust resistance. I'll hang fire to see what the jury says about the Neo.
    Regardless of which way I go I'll most likely order from Germany, bike24 or somewhere like that as the exchange rate is so favorable.
  • chris_bass
    sorry to resurrect this thread but just seen that bike-discount.de have the neo smart for 1,199 euros which seems like the best price I can find
  • sorry to resurrect this thread but just seen that bike-discount.de have the neo smart for 1,199 euros which seems like the best price I can find

That is decent and puts it below the RRP of the Kickr.

From what I've seen if it's a direct choice between Kickr or Neo then the Neo wins hands down just on the noise aspect.

Not that I have that kind of cash to throw about more's the pity.
  • chris_bass
    sorry to resurrect this thread but just seen that bike-discount.de have the neo smart for 1,199 euros which seems like the best price I can find

That is decent and puts it below the RRP of the Kickr.

From what I've seen if it's a direct choice between Kickr or Neo then the Neo wins hands down just on the noise aspect.

Not that I have that kind of cash to throw about more's the pity.

me neither but should I stumble across about £850 I know what i'll spend it on!