Winter jacket and base layer

ilav84
ilav84 Posts: 124
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking a new winter jacket and base layers for those cold 0-10degrees days.

I want sort of an all rounder type jacket - waterproof/windproof, windproof and warm.

Baselayers - Obviously something warm but will also wick away the sweat.

I have seen a few places doing Gabbas for £115 compared to the usual £185 but have been told that a Gabba isn't for temperatures as cold as that.

I'm a bit of an Assos fan and have a few of their shorts, Jersey, arm warmers etc. But they have that many winter jacket options I'm not really sure of what to go for.

Cheers

Comments

• PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    Looking a new winter jacket and base layers for those cold 0-10degrees days.

I want sort of an all rounder type jacket - waterproof/windproof, windproof and warm.

Baselayers - Obviously something warm but will also wick away the sweat.

I have seen a few places doing Gabbas for £115 compared to the usual £185 but have been told that a Gabba isn't for temperatures as cold as that.

I'm a bit of an Assos fan and have a few of their shorts, Jersey, arm warmers etc. But they have that many winter jacket options I'm not really sure of what to go for.

Cheers

What type of riding do you do?

If a lot of your riding is high tempo, then you could try the Parentini Mossa, along with one of their polypropolene base layers. The Mossa is a jacket in the same vein as the Gabba, but uses different fabrics.

I used a Mossa all through winter on my training rides and I was plenty warm enough. It's a superb jacket.

For winter 2015, Parentini are also introducing the Mossa Pesente (Heavy) which uses a slightly thicker/warmer fabric, along with the Mossa 2, which has a fleecier finish to the inside of the fabric. This Mossa is aimed at the leisure rider, who might stop at a cafe on ride etc

There are few reviews of the Mossa here http://parentinitestteam.com/2015/03/11/the-mossa/
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    FOR ME:
    Gabba short sleeve plus arm warmers plus base layer. 2-13 deg c. I'll use different base layers in that range.

In that range the gabba is warm as long as your working quite hard. I do worry what would happen if I had a mechanical though.
  • ilav84
    Once the winter really sets in and the light nights are gone it will be back to weekend riding only and school holidays when I'm off work. I will be going out with the club and usually do from 100-150 mile at weekends at a fairly high tempo. I will still go out for the odd easy ride though. Never heard of that make before, interesting option!! The Assos Air jacket has been mentioned to me a few times, anyone used that before?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I own the following: 1. Assos Airjack 2. Assos Habu 3. Castelli Gabba 4. Castelli Alpha Jersey 5. Parentini Mossa.
    As a winter jacket to keep you warm the Gabba is the worst, only because it is in good company. The Airjack is superb, however, I think the Alpha and the Mossa beat the Airjack because for me they ensure I keep warm at 0C with far less bulk. The Alpha is warmer, though the Mossa is better in the rain. The Airjack is now not freely available-it has been discontinued, it is available second hand on eBay quite frequently.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on your definition of 'winter' and particularly if riding in sub-zero conditions and whether you run hot or cold? I have a Gabba and it's definitely a 3-season garment, not 4 IMO - the only winter use it gets is 1-hour CX racing. I prefer garments from Gore Windstopper softshell - the best winter jacket material IME - vastly superior to the stuff that Assos uses that isn't as colour-fast and looks cr@p after 1 season - I have Gore/Castelli jackets 6 years old still going strong.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I happily wear my Gabba down to zero degrees - I wear it with a warm long sleeve UnderArmour base layer.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    sigmasport have a few offers on Assos at the moment

I bought a Bonka jacket with a hefty discount and strong reviews and I've put it away for the winter. The build quality is superb and I'm looking forward to some epic winter rides.

There are a few more jacket options to choose from for a range of temperatures but I'll be running slow and long on winter rides for heart rate so I've gone for extra warmth.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    The Bonka is probably the best of the sub zero jackets. Possibly overkill for the average UK winter. But incredible.

The Alpha jacket is probably a better bet for the UK, overall.

IMO, with sufficient layering, the Rapha Pro Team is probably the best all rounder. Could even use on a cool spring day with a ss base layer.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Rapha pro team with a winter base layer is a great combination, if it gets really cold I put a gillet on as well. That will take you comfortably down to freezing temperature, at which point I've lost interest in riding outside anyway.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    For several years my favourite winter jacket has been the Assos 851 Air Jacket. As noted above this is now discontinued but well worth considering if you can get a good deal from on-line assos outlet store or fleabay.

Last year I bought a Castelli Alpha Jacket (not Jersey) and I have been very pleasantly surprised at the performance of what appears to be a much lighter jacket than the Assos but which provides greater warmth and water resistance. On reflection this is where I would recommend you spend your hard earned ££.

Peter
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What do you wear normally in Winter ?

On Sunday I saw people in the same conditions in totally different kit. From the Assos 851 and Rapha rainjackets to people in no sleeves. A lot depends how you go.

I'd have a look at the DHB Windbreak jersey as its called. Its about £50 and more versatile than the Rapha Winter Jersey thats 3 times as much.
  • ilav84
    Bought a gabba and it made it's debut today. Too warm for it but just had to get wearing it. Im going to reserve a proper judgement on it until I get through the start of the winter with it but I have to say I'm very impressed. I love the fit of it, nothing flapping about like you get with rain jackets. I chose an XL and it's a perfect fit and not too tight but not loose either. I got caught in two showers and was amazed how the rain wicks off the jacket. It's a very warm jacket as well and i'm sure with the right base layers I could get away with wearing it in the winter. As I said I used it for the first time today so I am not going to say it's the best thing ever but so far so good.

Still on the look out for a jacket for those really cold days though!
  • ilav84
    The Bonka is probably the best of the sub zero jackets. Possibly overkill for the average UK winter. But incredible.

The Alpha jacket is probably a better bet for the UK, overall.

IMO, with sufficient layering, the Rapha Pro Team is probably the best all rounder. Could even use on a cool spring day with a ss base layer.

Is the Bonka water resistant as well?
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Not really.
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    I wear the Bonka with just a baselayer in the depts of winter. Great jacket but seriously expensive.

I have a bit of Rapha winter wear also. The Pro Team Jacket is my choice mostly but is really meant for hard days in the saddle. I haven't got much use out of the Rapha winter jersey although a fine garment, its hard to get my fitted cape on over it.

If you're looking for something cheaper the Specialized Roubaix jacket really is first class.
  • bendertherobot
    No. The Alpha (jacket) is better than the Bonka in rain. But, really, neither are really for rain. It it's snowing then I have found the Bonka to be very good in those conditions.

My winter wardrobe this year will be :

Gabba L Sleeve
    Rapha Winter Jersey
    Rapha Hardshell

Torm long sleeves for the temperate days, and maybe a gilet.

I am on the look out for a Pro Team Jacket as, IMO, it's brilliant.
  • ilav84
    For those really wet days is it just a case of a rain cape being the only option? Ive 2 pairs of winter tights Assos and Castelli, a Gabba, Assos Intermediate, couple of gillets, a light rain cape (sweat suit) and all the rest is winter gear. Need to get some proper winter base layers as well!
  • bendertherobot
    Depends what you mean by heavy rain! If it's sub 8 degrees in the winter then, IMO, a hardshell is the answer. Be that Rapha, or Gore, or, whatever.
  • IMO, with sufficient layering, the Rapha Pro Team is probably the best all rounder. Could even use on a cool spring day with a ss base layer.

I'll second his opinion. It's one of the best bits of kit they've released.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Castelli Moritrolo is a good shout if you don't want to spend loads. Few places have them for £60-70ish at the moment, windproof but no waterproof. If its anymore than showers I'll just put a cheap pac-a-mac style rain jacket on top. I really feel the cold though.