Specialize Pedal axle extenders recalled

2002 Posts: 26
edited July 2015 in Workshop
I have been using these 20 mm extenders for about 2 years with spd pedals on my road bike as I have had no knee pain after using them and now see they are all being recalled due to some breaking for a refund. They say they must not be used any more and they are not making a replacement part. I am going to ring about them as there is a uk number but does any one konw of another make of these as I tried my bike today without them and do not like it . Mind you having used them for 2 years and done 10000+ miles I wonder if they where going to break they would have done so by now.

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Mind you having used them for 2 years and done 10000+ miles I wonder if they where going to break they would have done so by now.
    Not wanting to tempt fate too much with these either I would still probably keep using these if they were mine as they have been OK for this long. Hard to know what the root problem is with these though. It could be a few people who are really heavy combined with improper installation, etc. and the fact that Specialized would be more of a target for attention and lawsuits than the smaller more anonymous mfrs. out there or just poor quality but this makes it a hard call. At the least I would check them every 6 months or so (a random number off the top of my head) for cracks. I would be just as worried about any cheap Chinese version available not to mention their warranty service may be poor or non-existent.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yeah, I've got 3 sets of these and I'm loathe to have to get new ones. I've had a careful look and they all look okay.

I would like longer pedal axles but they can get expensive.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
    2002 Posts: 26
    I have been into a Cycles Uk store tonight and they are finding out who will pay them if they give people there money back and if I need the bill as they know about the recall as I am the second one to ask. i am thinking I may well carry on using them if I can not have my money back as they still look like new and how do you know if any other make are ok and I am then lossing £40. I really do need the extra 20 mm when cliped into the pedals as my knees just do not like it with out them. I will post when I get an answer.