Safest and cheapest way to send bike to Australia?

adam0bmx0
adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
edited July 2015 in Road general
As per the thread title, I've decided I want to keep my 2014 BMC SLR02 as it would be more cost effective then to sell it and then have to purchase something of similiar spec over in Aus. It's also not standard, fitted my own bar and stem in terms of width/length, also got Novatech/Pacenti SL23's on it.

I think air is the quickest and safest way, want to ride asap as soon as I land in Aus and not have to wait for a boat which could take ages?

In terms of packing, I could go bike box Alan, which is the expensive option, or go cardboard box and go mental on the padding/packing to keep the bike safe.

Anyone packed a bike for a one way journey and found a cardboard bike box and air freight ok?
If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    A chap I know is an airline pilot and is often posted overseas for months before being moved to another location.

He uses this lot: bikeflights.com

They pick up your bike from home once you've boxed it and deliver it to the door at the other end on a date pre determined by the owner.

The service works with the box/case or whatever being fully inspected and signed for as it passes from one courier to another meaning that, at each stage, the bike is someone's personal responsibility. He has never had any damage.

I have never used them but it's door to door service that he swears by. I don't think its the cheapest but it may be of use to you.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    I'm just about to embark on my 9th trip to Aus (I have family living there). My experience is that bikes and kit tend to be more expensive there than in the UK. Lots of Aussies buy their kit from Wiggle and other UK online sites as it's cheaper.
    I have a steel bike which I took out to Aus a few years ago. I found the cheapest way was to bubble wrap it up and pack it in a soft bike bag to keep the weight down. Singapore Airlines carried it as outsize baggage as part of my luggage allowance and it arrived unscathed. I guess a carbon bike presents a trickier challenge to ensure it doesn't get damaged, but if it was me I'd pack it to within an inch of it's life and fly it out with me.
    My son in law flew two carbon bikes with him from Aus to the UK a few years ago and both arrived undamaged.
    A chap I know is an airline pilot and is often posted overseas for months before being moved to another location.

He uses this lot: bikeflights.com

Thanks will check them out!
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    I'm just about to embark on my 9th trip to Aus (I have family living there). My experience is that bikes and kit tend to be more expensive there than in the UK. Lots of Aussies buy their kit from Wiggle and other UK online sites as it's cheaper.
    I have a steel bike which I took out to Aus a few years ago. I found the cheapest way was to bubble wrap it up and pack it in a soft bike bag to keep the weight down. Singapore Airlines carried it as outsize baggage as part of my luggage allowance and it arrived unscathed. I guess a carbon bike presents a trickier challenge to ensure it doesn't get damaged, but if it was me I'd pack it to within an inch of it's life and fly it out with me.
    My son in law flew two carbon bikes with him from Aus to the UK a few years ago and both arrived undamaged.

I'm flying with Singapore but looking at thier excess baggage fares, if I take 32kg of clothing/items in a suitcase and a bike on top (say + 25kg all boxed with kit) it's was 1200GBP or so for the excess!
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Ship your clothes then and take the bike as your luggage :)
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269

I like your style. :D
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903

I like your style. :D
    Well the last time I checked, it was hard to crack a shirt or trousers by poor handling :)