Discuss

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
What is the difference between two pucks rubbing on a spinning metal disc to stop it's motion(disc brake) and two pucks rubbing on a spinning metal disc to stop it's motion(rim brake)? :?

Comments

• The material of the pads.
    The lifetime and replacability of the braking surface.
    The distance of the braking surfaces and pads from the surface of the road and the grime there.
    Hydraulics - The difference in losses due to friction of cables.
    Hydraulics - self adjusting pad spacing
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    discs
      when a disc wears out, you can replace it for not much fancy taking it easy on a long steep twisty descent? no problem excellent performance in the wet uglier heavier

rims
      when your exotic carbon rim wears out, it's expensive long steep twisty descent? be brave or the rim may overheat expensively and/or dangerously iffy performance in the wet prettier lighter

but i think you know this :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dennisn
    discs
      when a disc wears out, you can replace it for not much fancy taking it easy on a long steep twisty descent? no problem excellent performance in the wet uglier heavier

rims
      when your exotic carbon rim wears out, it's expensive long steep twisty descent? be brave or the rim may overheat expensively and/or dangerously iffy performance in the wet prettier lighter

but i think you know this :)

In reality I don't KNOW all of this. All the things you've mentioned may have validity or they may not. To me your lists contain pretty much what the manufacturers say in their advertisements. My impression is that they are something new, and you know cyclists when it comes to new. Gotta have it and because it's new it must be the answer. At the very least cyclists buy new to be "with it" and to be the first, pretty much without regard to whether they are getting something better than what they have.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Disc brakes are not "new" but you knew that also
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    You missed one of disc brakes' unique features:
    New brake tatto. Minutes after use, contact in millisec! Soon legal in roadbike pile-ups #discbrakes… https://t.co/aKpi6QcBIK
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    All the things you've mentioned may have validity or they may not. To me your lists contain pretty much what the manufacturers say in their advertisements. My impression is that they are something new, and you know cyclists when it comes to new. Gotta have it and because it's new it must be the answer. At the very least cyclists buy new to be "with it" and to be the first, pretty much without regard to whether they are getting something better than what they have.
    What you're saying is arguably true of, say, internal cable routing, or getting a new set of carbon handlebars with integrated stem, or moving from 10 speed to 11 speed gears, or this years slightly more aerodynamic wheel/frameset but doesn't really apply to such a fundamental change as the move from rim to disk brakes.

Even if disk brakes were equally as effective as rim brakes, in my opinion they'd be worth it simply for the knowledge that you aren't slowly destroying your wheel rims simply by braking.

Fortunately, they also give you better control of your braking and work better in bad conditions, in my experience.

If you don't want/need them fine - don't get a bike with discs. But something tells me you haven't even test ridden a bike with discs and so have zero basis for your theory beyond the fact that advertisers often bend the truth to sell their new products - sure, they do, but in this case the product actually is demonstrably better. If you take a test ride and don't feel the difference/feel it is worth it then fine, don't get a new bike with discs.

Personally, as an all weather commuter I was sick of having to give miles of stopping distance whenever it rained (and in fear of the need to carry out an emergency stop), so I got a new bike with disc brakes, to ride in adverse weather. I still ride the rim braked bike in good weather, but my disk-braked bike I can ride in all conditions and I go just as fast on it.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    New brake tatto. Minutes after use, contact in millisec! Soon legal in roadbike pile-ups #discbrakes… https://t.co/aKpi6QcBIK
    Obviously much worse than chainrings, or bladed spokes
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • dennisn
    Obviously much worse than chainrings, or bladed spokes

Nice..
  • dennisn
    All the things you've mentioned may have validity or they may not. To me your lists contain pretty much what the manufacturers say in their advertisements. My impression is that they are something new, and you know cyclists when it comes to new. Gotta have it and because it's new it must be the answer. At the very least cyclists buy new to be "with it" and to be the first, pretty much without regard to whether they are getting something better than what they have.
    What you're saying is arguably true of, say, internal cable routing, or getting a new set of carbon handlebars with integrated stem, or moving from 10 speed to 11 speed gears, or this years slightly more aerodynamic wheel/frameset but doesn't really apply to such a fundamental change as the move from rim to disk brakes.

Even if disk brakes were equally as effective as rim brakes, in my opinion they'd be worth it simply for the knowledge that you aren't slowly destroying your wheel rims simply by braking.

Fortunately, they also give you better control of your braking and work better in bad conditions, in my experience.

If you don't want/need them fine - don't get a bike with discs. But something tells me you haven't even test ridden a bike with discs and so have zero basis for your theory beyond the fact that advertisers often bend the truth to sell their new products - sure, they do, but in this case the product actually is demonstrably better. If you take a test ride and don't feel the difference/feel it is worth it then fine, don't get a new bike with discs.

Personally, as an all weather commuter I was sick of having to give miles of stopping distance whenever it rained (and in fear of the need to carry out an emergency stop), so I got a new bike with disc brakes, to ride in adverse weather. I still ride the rim braked bike in good weather, but my disk-braked bike I can ride in all conditions and I go just as fast on it.

Don't get me wrong. I have pretty much no real opinion on either(and yes, I haven't tried them). Right now I have a set of DA9000's. On my really old bike(early 70's) I've still got the original set of Suntour Superbe Pro stoppers. There is a difference, of course, but nothing to get overly excited about. Anyway, if I'm still riding when I'm 80(15 years) I'll most likely have no choice but to ride discs, and that's OK. To me they ALL do the job they are meant to do. Stop the bike.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    It's all about the lovely, lovely wet weather performance :)

If you're a (mostly) fair weather summer rider you don't need them...else they'll change your life for the better.

Best thing I've ever bought is a bike with hydraulic discs...oh an one with full mudguard mounts an room for wide tyres...perfect commuter and all round bike :)
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    To me they ALL do the job they are meant to do. Stop the bike.

You're right, it's just that disc brakes do it faster.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    A plus point is disk brake = lighter rim, so in effect less rotating mass at the edge of the wheel so quicker to climb.

A minus is heavier hub weight with rotor at hub means 'consumer new cyclists' do the lift test and find the bike heavy.

A plus for disc is no god awful brake block residue inside forks and on carpet on wet days.

A minus for disc is tingling rotors on long climbs - often happens on mountain bikes, but hidden by the terrain noise/knobbly tyres.

I personally see no need for disc on road and expect it to last a couple of years or see it firmly encamped in endurance/ sportive sales only on defy/synapse etal witth 'race' bikes staying caliper.
  • Myster101
    What's tingling rotors (rotors making a nice relaxing noise?).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255

A rubbing rotor, usually once on rotation. A ting / tingling noise is how I have come to describe it. Geddit ??? :D
  • "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Quick poll. How many of you have actually completely worn out a set of rims before deciding that you want a different set of fancy wheels and flogged them on or 'retired' them to the spares bin?
  • dennisn
    Quick poll. How many of you have actually completely worn out a set of rims before deciding that you want a different set of fancy wheels and flogged them on or 'retired' them to the spares bin?

Never wore out a set. At least that I know of. It's always been about getting "something new" for me, or building a new set. Not because I necessarily needed them. Just wanted to do it. Most of my bike purchases are NOT because I needed something.
  • sungod
    In reality I don't KNOW all of this. All the things you've mentioned may have validity or they may not. To me your lists contain pretty much what the manufacturers say in their advertisements. My impression is that they are something new, and you know cyclists when it comes to new. Gotta have it and because it's new it must be the answer. At the very least cyclists buy new to be "with it" and to be the first, pretty much without regard to whether they are getting something better than what they have.

soz :)

i have used both, for commute/touring, i'd go for discs every time, the power/consistency in all weather conditions is really streets ahead of rim brakes, makes it safer when there's heavy traffic/pedestrians/whatever as you don't get the pause before they bite that wet rim brakes suffer from

on a road bike, aside from making life easier on long, steep, twisty descents, i don't see much else in their favour to offset the extra weight/drag/bulk

for new shiny, i'm waiting for sram to release their wireless groupset, i'm still on red and the battery, junction box and cables of the current shimano/campag systems would just be plain ugly on my bike, wireless will be really clean
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    [quote="sungodi'd go for discs every time, the power/consistency in all weather conditions is really streets ahead of rim brakes, makes it safer when there's heavy traffic/pedestrians/whatever as you don't get the pause before they bite that wet rim brakes suffer from[/quote]

I take it you've not tried Mavic's Exalith yet? I've got bikes with normal alu tracks, carbon tracks (Zipp 303 FC), discs (MTB hydraulic) and Exalith 2 on RSYS-SLR's. In the wet (and we're talking really heavy rain) with properly set brakes and pads the latter will stop me just as well as the discs.
  • dennisn
    edited July 2015
    [quote="sungodi'd go for discs every time, the power/consistency in all weather conditions is really streets ahead of rim brakes, makes it safer when there's heavy traffic/pedestrians/whatever as you don't get the pause before they bite that wet rim brakes suffer from

I take it you've not tried Mavic's Exalith yet? I've got bikes with normal alu tracks, carbon tracks (Zipp 303 FC), discs (MTB hydraulic) and Exalith 2 on RSYS-SLR's. In the wet (and we're talking really heavy rain) with properly set brakes and pads the latter will stop me just as well as the discs.[/quote]

I have an older pair of Mavic Ceramic coated rims. Work damn good in the wet and on long descents.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    A plus point is disk brake = lighter rim, so in effect less rotating mass at the edge of the wheel so quicker to climb.

Where the mass is has no significance climbing.
  • sungod
    I take it you've not tried Mavic's Exalith yet? I've got bikes with normal alu tracks, carbon tracks (Zipp 303 FC), discs (MTB hydraulic) and Exalith 2 on RSYS-SLR's. In the wet (and we're talking really heavy rain) with properly set brakes and pads the latter will stop me just as well as the discs.

i've got some exalith wheels, cosmic carbone slr (2010/2011), the braking in the wet is better than plain rims, but exalith is still far outperformed by even basic mechanical discs (avid bb5 which i also had at the time), plus the discs don't eat brake pads the way exalith does
  • dennisn

A minus is heavier hub weight with rotor at hub means 'consumer new cyclists' do the lift test and find the bike heavy.

A plus for disc is no god awful brake block residue inside forks and on carpet on wet days.

A minus for disc is tingling rotors on long climbs - often happens on mountain bikes, but hidden by the terrain noise/knobbly tyres.

I personally see no need for disc on road and expect it to last a couple of years or see it firmly encamped in endurance/ sportive sales only on defy/synapse etal witth 'race' bikes staying caliper.

FWIW. I think that is ALL mountains from anthills. Much ado about nothing.
  • dennisn
    Maybe my thoughts on this also sort of cover bike frames, components, tires, and wheels. Each year we seem to hear pretty much the same old stuff from manufactures. This frame is 12% stiffer than last years. Our brake set has 17% better modulation than the competition. Our new fork design has 11% more steering fluidity than last year. Well, you get the picture. Every year ALL these things get better by leaps and bounds. I've heard all this kind of hype since the 70's, and I'm sure that in the decades previous to that it wasn't much different. By now we should be living in that perfect bicycle world but....... Hence my sarcasm and disbelief of a lot of the claims. Many of them are just that - claims.
  • Myster101

A rubbing rotor, usually once on rotation. A ting / tingling noise is how I have come to describe it. Geddit ??? :D

I geddit but if your rotor is rubbing on the pad then somethings not right :?

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    for new shiny, i'm waiting for sram to release their wireless groupset, i'm still on red and the battery, junction box and cables of the current shimano/campag systems would just be plain ugly on my bike, wireless will be really clean

I'm waiting for SRAM too, but for a different reason.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    [quote="sungodi'd go for discs every time, the power/consistency in all weather conditions is really streets ahead of rim brakes, makes it safer when there's heavy traffic/pedestrians/whatever as you don't get the pause before they bite that wet rim brakes suffer from

I have an older pair of Mavic Ceramic coated rims. Work damn good in the wet and on long descents.[/quote]

You must be a lot lighter than me :)

I find rim brakes are poor compared to hydraulic disc brakes and much more so in the wet. It's the lack of control and power that is the problem I have with rim brakes. Must be coming from mountain biking and being used to big grippy tyres and disc brakes.