Cielo Rosso

davman
davman Posts: 31
edited May 2016 in Your road bikes
Hi

Thought i'd post some photos of my new bike, which is a Cielo Rosso titanium, ordered through Neil at Cielo Rosso Bikes.
Frame is double butted titanium. Dimensions are based quite loosely on a Volaji Liscio, with the dimensions as follows;

Top tube 520mm
Head tube 160mm
Chainstays 410mm
Seat tube 440mm (c-to-c) 485mm (c-to-t)
Wheelbase 990mm

Kit as follows;

Whisky Number 9 road disc fork with 15mm thru axle
Ultegra Di2 11 speed mechs with the ST-R785 hydraulic disc levers
Ultegra Di2 11 speed chainset (165mm crack length) with 52/36 chainrings
Chris King inset headset
Cielo Rosso titanium seat post
Prologo Kappa Evo saddle
3T Aeronova Team bars
DT Swiss 240S hubs on Stans NoTubes Grail rims
Hutchinson Sector 28mm tyres running tubeless
King titanium cages

I got my first drawing from Neil at Cielo Rosso in November 2014, but went through a couple of iterations before i was happy with the frame. I specifically wanted internal cables and hoses as far as was possible. The rear brake actually goes through a small diameter tube in the frame, popping in near to the head tube, out and round the bottom bracket then back into the chainstay before exiting near to the caliper. The entry points for the gearing can be either mechanical or DI2.

Finally placed the order with Neil in mid March and received the frame in late April. I also purchased the seat post through Neil (manufactured at the same time as the frame), the forks and headset, which Neil fitted for me.

Wheels were purchased via Paul Kerslake at PT Cycles in Evesham. Top bloke with the wheels built in less than a week. Have used DT Swiss in the past and the rims get good comments as well.

Rest of the kit has been bought over the last 7 months, but the actual build has taken longer than i hoped as i had minor problems with getting the rear tyre to run tubeless and bleeding the rear brke was slightly ackward.

The bike is now pretty much set-up how i want it, with the exception of stem length. I'm currently using a 120 3T stem with zero degree rise, but am not sure it's right, so will continue experimenting and tweaking. Once i've decided on this, i can tidy up the front end with some new spacers, shrink wrap the hoses & Di2 cables, cut the steerer tube to a better length and decide where to put the Di2 control box.

Weight for the bike as in the photos is 19lbs.

I've now had 2 rides on the bike, approximately 50 miles and the ride is smooth, comfortable but tight and responsive. I went for a shorter chainstay length than some sportive bikes to make sure the back-end stays tight when cornering and pushing on.

Di2 is a revelation; changes are quick, especially the front, and the automatic trimming means you don't have to worry about this. For me it was a fit and forget (apart from remembering to fully charge the internal battery and upgrade the firmware).
Wheels have been great, spin up fast, maintain their speed, are comfortable and track well in corners
Still experimenting with tyre pressues, currently running 85psi which is good. There doesn't seem to be a great selection of tubeless compatible tyres at the moment, but the Hutchinson's have had good reviews and are a bit rarer than Schwalbe and Continental.

If you're looking to get a titanium frame (have always used steel, but couldn't quite stretch to 953) then Cielo Rosso frames are a great product, with a knowledgeable, helpful and friendly person in Neil. Was happy to provide what i wanted, was accurate with delivery timescales and has been helpful with some queries i've had since receiving the frame.

Likewise, Paul at PT Cycles provided a great service which was knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. Would definitely recommend him if you're after a pair of custom wheels.

My main reason for going custom was so i could specify, within reason, what i wanted so, from that aspect, i'm very happy with what i've got. I've tried road disc carbon bikes prior to ordering the Cielo Rosso, but, in my opinion, found them a bit dull to ride. Custom Titanium gives me the comfort of steel with better responsiveness and a fit that is for me.

Simon Hume

1_Bike_1.jpg

2_Bike_2.jpg

3_Bars_2.jpg

4_Bars_1.jpg

5_Down_tube_1.jpg

7_Down_tube_2.jpg

8_Fork.jpg

10_Rear_mech.jpg

12_Rear_calliper.jpg

13_Seatpost.jpg

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Lovely Build. How do you find the handling, a 52 top tube length with a 120 mm stem does it put you forward of the front wheel axle?

What was the issue with the Rear Tubeless set up, I think I read somewhere that the Sector 28S where not Butyl lined and could leak air if certain Sealants were added! and Paradoxically Schwalbe ones were better at holding air in this respect.

Obviously the Stans are tubeless ready but did you go to the trouble of putting some tape around the valve holes, or did you wrap the whole rim?

Looks pretty much like you have specced yourself the modern incarnation of a future proof Sportive bike makes me wonder if you ve got anything else in your stable as you ve probably ruined it for the rest of us by speccing a bike that kills the N+1 rule.
  • davman
    Lovely Build. How do you find the handling, a 52 top tube length with a 120 mm stem does it put you forward of the front wheel axle?

I'm still experimenting with stem length, the one in the photos is one i already had.
    I had a bike-fit last year at Cotswold Cycles (very good experience), the measurements they had on the jig were based on a Kinesis Pro6 size 54, which i was riding at the time, Along with moving to 165mm cranks, it was suggested i use a 110mm stem. The actual length of the Pro6 top tube is 53.4, so the Cielo Rosso is shorter, which has given me the leeway to try a longer stem and see how it feels. I need to do a ride over 35 miles to see how it feels. Using the other measurements from the bike-fit, the setup with the 120mm stem is still okay, but we'll see.

What was the issue with the Rear Tubeless set up, I think I read somewhere that the Sector 28S where not Butyl lined and could leak air if certain Sealants were added! and Paradoxically Schwalbe ones were better at holding air in this respect.

For some reason i couldn't get the tyre to 'snap' onto the rim round the valve; the front one went on first time. After trying various methods (washing up liquid, air canister, I was down to my last bottle of latex, so i replaced the tubeless valve, took the tyre off and then back on again and it worked. Don't know what i did differently. I'm using Stans sealants and both tyres are fine, with harly any pressure loss.

Obviously the Stans are tubeless ready but did you go to the trouble of putting some tape around the valve holes, or did you wrap the whole rim?

Paul at PT Cycles put two on each rim when building the wheels for me.

Looks pretty much like you have specced yourself the modern incarnation of a future proof Sportive bike makes me wonder if you ve got anything else in your stable as you ve probably ruined it for the rest of us by speccing a bike that kills the N+1 rule.

My commuting and training bike is a Pinnacle Arkose 3 (the bright green one); Picked the frame up on Ebay for the same as i sold the Pro6 for. It's a good bike, but i wanted something more for summer riding (only) so went with the Cielo Rosso. Plus, i had quadruple hear bypass surgery in September 2014 so this is sort of a present for me; i'm now starting to get back some fitness and stamina, am enjoying cycling now more than i have done for many many years and wanted to enjoy it on a good bike built to my own specs.
  • tim_wand
    Lovely, Enjoy, The more I see it , the more I think I want something "similar"
    Would probably go for a Kinesis Tripster ( cant affoard a Cielo) and transfer bits across.
    Find more and more with my riding now a days, I m more " oh I wonder whats down there? or where that leads to?" Than must get the hammer down and kill myself.
  • davman
    I was interested in the Tripster as well (am assuming you mean the ATR) and had a look at them a number of times (didn't get a chance to ride one though), but in the end went with the Cielo Rosso, because it gave me the option to customise it.

The price of the Cielo Rosso, with the Seat Post (made at the same time), plus the Forks and the Chris King headset worked out at roughly the same price as the Trispter.

Simon
  • tim_wand
    I was interested in the Tripster as well (am assuming you mean the ATR) and had a look at them a number of times (didn't get a chance to ride one though), but in the end went with the Cielo Rosso, because it gave me the option to customise it.

The price of the Cielo Rosso, with the Seat Post (made at the same time), plus the Forks and the Chris King headset worked out at roughly the same price as the Trispter.

Simon

Food for thought. Not that familiar with the Brand, The only one I ever saw was in Fat Bikes at Hunstanton and had all sorts of Custom engraving/ etching on the frame and superbike build, Gave me the impression they were quiet pricey. But having looked on the site now . I can see they are equivalent value to the high end Kinesis / Van Nicholas and Lynskey stuff.

Going to stick with my Evo six for now. Got a significant birthday coming up soon and some shares vest at the same time so will look at something like this next year.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Frames are made by walty bike . I know somebody who has both bought direct from them and also another via CR
    Nice build btw and quality of frame and welds look very good
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    It might be a photo illusion, but from here it seems the front wheel has a lacing error. The valve appears to be placed between two converging spokes, which will cause issues if you try to inflate with a pump having a big head... more generally lacing errors are annoying to the eye, although they are not an issue for the integrity of the wheel.

What I mean can be seen better here, from this photo taken from a builder's gallery... see the rear wheel? :twisted: :oops:

Racer.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You do have beady eyes ugo I had to look for a while to even see the valve and your right. It not an illusion. Nice bike otherwise.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Do you mind me asking what sort of price bracket this frame was in? I've had a quote off Walty but the communication hasn't been great and I'd rather order from a UK dealer. Cielo Rosso have a few frames on Ebay and when I consider the price from Walty doesn't include import tax or handling fee it actually works out about the same.
  • davman
    Ugo

Sorry, only just looked at this thread again, but the valve is sited fine, so i think it's a bit of an optical illusion. Distance from the valve to the spokes is approx 30mm.

Simon
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    Ugo

Sorry, only just looked at this thread again, but the valve is sited fine, so i think it's a bit of an optical illusion. Distance from the valve to the spokes is approx 30mm.

Simon

Spoke crossed patterns have a periodicity of 4. Every 4 spokes the pattern replicates, as you have one leading and one trailing spoke per side, hence 4 types of spoke. In a correctly built wheel, the valve has to sit between two sets of periodic spokes, in a gap where the two spokes diverge towards the hub, rather than converge... any clearer?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Jowwy
    Jowwy Posts: 3
    I have a ceilo rosso disc frame and its a lovely bike to ride indeed.....built up with sram rival 22 speed groupset, pro vibe stem, seatpost and bars, chinese carbon wheels and trp spyre discs.