Bike stolen, can see it online, what to do?

odessouky
odessouky Posts: 264
edited August 2015 in MTB general
Hi all

So came home thursday night to find my bike has been stolen from my home (securely locked shed). Its 3 weeks old, and cost me a fortune by my standards!

I've been looking on the net to try and locate it, and found it indeed, at the opposite end of the country, 300 miles away!!

Whole issue has been reported to the police, who seemed bored and not interesting to follow my lead on the online add.

I printed everything out for them, but they took nothing when I filed the report.

What should I do?

I might be wrong, but I'm 100% sure the bike I'm looking at is mine. I'm afraid to call the seller and scare him off, and then my bike dissappears again?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do you have the frame number?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    You got a link?
  • odessouky
    Yes, have the frame number in my pictures, etc..

I am worried to post the ad here, as I do not want to scare him off, and also VERY worried I might be wrong, and end up accusing an honest guy.

By the way, the ad is VERY dodgy...
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    If the police aren't doing anything about it, arrange to view the bike and take your biggest mates with you - if it is your bike nick it back (with the help of aforementioned 'big' mates) and if not then there isn't an issue. Unfortunately this will be a PITA if the bike turns out not to be yours and you have travelled 300miles.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • cooldad
    Ask the seller, by email, for the frame number, mention you live close and would like to see the bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • m00nbadger
    m00nbadger Posts: 53
    If the police aren't doing anything about it, arrange to view the bike and take your biggest mates with you - if it is your bike nick it back (with the help of aforementioned 'big' mates) and if not then there isn't an issue. Unfortunately this will be a PITA if the bike turns out not to be yours and you have travelled 300miles.
    this is what I'd be tempted to do. turn up with a car full of mates, go and check it over on my own and confront him if its yours. if the guys doesn't seem keen on handing it over, you've got a car full of lads to gently convince him otherwise

Not the nicest way of doing things but you're not dealing with the nicest of people anyway

but yeah, if its not yours you owe the lads you take a slap up mcdonalds and a pint at least
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    this is what I'd be tempted to do. turn up with a car full of mates, go and check it over on my own and confront him if its yours. if the guys doesn't seem keen on handing it over, you've got a car full of lads to gently convince him otherwise

Not the nicest way of doing things but you're not dealing with the nicest of people anyway

but yeah, if its not yours you owe the lads you take a slap up mcdonalds and a pint at least

That's how I recovered my RS2000 when I found it for sale after it got stolen. Didn't go quite to plan, my mates were supposed to wait in the van unless I needed them but they just got stuck in straight away.
    I was glad the car wasn't stolen from my house or I would be worried about a revenge attack.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    where abouts is it, maybe someone could go look for you if you give them the frame number
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    300 miles is unusual, how sure are you it's your bike and not another the same model?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I was told mine would be transferred miles away . Don't see that as unusual at all .
  • odessouky
    where abouts is it, maybe someone could go look for you if you give them the frame number

the ad is in: Helensburgh, Argyll and Bute
  • odessouky
    i feel now that I completely HATE cycling....
    I'm completely put off reading a bike magazine, checking forums etc....
    Can't even look at my road bike...
    hate the whole thing!!

is this normal...?

feeling Sh%*...!!
  • cooldad
    Probably normal to feel a bit sh1t if something is stolen, and even more normal to hate a road bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369

the ad is in: Helensburgh, Argyll and Bute

seems unlikely that its made it up here TBH, how sure are you its your bike? are there any identifying marks on it to compare to your pictures? links to pictures and ad?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I was told mine would be transferred miles away . Don't see that as unusual at all .
    The three I know of recovered had moved less than 25 miles.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Was it insured? Maybe a good excuse to buy a shiny new bike.
    Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
    Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
    Cube Road SL
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    Was it insured? Maybe a good excuse to buy a shiny new bike.

Even if it was insured I would want the scrote to suffer some consequences! If your 90% sure just go and get it!

Ring the police when you get proof but take the bike off him and if he puts up a struggle so be it.

Its time that people started taking the law into their own hands as unfortunately police / courts are growing increasingly useless whilst good honest people get pushed around.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    300 miles away seems rather far to go to recover your bike, must be a nice bike to have stolen.

I have heard there is people going round watching people and stealing nice bikes.

Just be sure it is yours first if you see some scratches on it etc that you know its yours and then take it from there go for a trip out with a few lads and take it back.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I doubt it's the same bike, having searched for that model in that location it brings one up, has Helensburgh cycles stickers on if I recall, so unless the shop or an employee is in on it then I expect its mistaken identity I'm afraid